• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Help

KelticTJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Recently my blower motor was working intermittently and it was on its way out. Everything worked fine when it was on, air through dash vents, switch worked on every setting etc. I replaced it with a Napa blower motor and now I have very little air coming through the dash vents. The blend doors are working properly so that isn't the issue. When searching, the only thing I could find is that sometimes the wires on the connector need to be switched for non-oem blower motors. Could that be the issue? Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

-Ryan

what year is your xj? the 96 and earlier years had resistance problems that would heat up and melt the connectors on the back of the HVAC control panel.

It's a 2000. ZJ guys have had problems with Napa blower motors blowing in the reverse direction which seems like that could be the issue here but I've never heard about it with XJ's.

It's a 2000. ZJ guys have had problems with Napa blower motors blowing in the reverse direction which seems like that could be the issue here but I've never heard about it with XJ's.

Possible, if the motor was produced overseas the color code of the wires is likely to be different. American is usually a colored wire (red?) and black is always ground. Europe, sometimes China and Japan black (or some other color) is sometimes hot and green is ground. If you have a green wire and a black wire it may be Euro (DIN) format color code and the green is the ground side.

You may have an issue with your resistor pack, the blower motor wasn't the original problem and you still have a resistor issue. The newer (late model) ceramic resistors don't often screw up like the older models do, but anything is possible.

Possible, if the motor was produced overseas the color code of the wires is likely to be different. American is usually a colored wire (red?) and black is always ground. Europe, sometimes China and Japan black (or some other color) is sometimes hot and green is ground. If you have a green wire and a black wire it may be Euro (DIN) format color code and the green is the ground side.

You may have an issue with your resistor pack, the blower motor wasn't the original problem and you still have a resistor issue. The newer (late model) ceramic resistors don't often screw up like the older models do, but anything is possible.

You're talking about the BMR correct? If so, I replaced that at the same time as the blower motor. Everything worked fine when the old blower motor was installed, I just had to hit it with a hammer once in a while and it would kick back on.

If the zj is the same as the xj the two pin plug that goes into the blower motor is easy to put in backwards. If it is backwards the motor will work fine but the fan will spin the opposite direction causing little to no airflow from the vents (almost as if it's sucking air in instead of blowing it out.) Unplug the plug, turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in. My money says that'll fix it. cheers.

Back