• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential cover opinions - Crane, Riddler?

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I'm looking at upgrading the factory fill cover to something with a raised fill plug because I'll have my pinion rotated up about 4-6 degrees (AW4 NP242 SYE) over stock.

With the Crane or Riddler covers it looks like I can use their fill plug and be done with it?

It looks like the Riddler is about $60 less and I'd have to/want to paint both, unless the Riddler doesn't rust.

Anything else I should consider?

I've thought of jacking up the Jeep etc. but I'd rather just have a cover.

I usually fill from a 5 gallon pail pump and the J end of it fits with plenty of clearance into the factory cover. I'd like it if one of these had a hole large enough for it.

4 to 6 degrees is not enough to matter.

if you really want an aftermarket diff cover, the Ruffstuff cover is the best one out there. and they are a naxja supporting vendor.

and depending on the axle you are talking about the fill plug should be larger than OEM IIRC.

I will look at Ruffstuff.

I measured with a ruler to the bottom of the fill plug and again at the pinion. It looks like at 3 degrees over stock, fluid level is just at the bottom of farthest bearing. I believe stock is 7 degrees and I'm at 10 right now.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. My 97 XJ came to me with a noisy axle and I just replaced it with a JY donor axle. In the noisy axle when I turned the pinion yolk I could feel roughness. I imagine when I tear it down I'll see shot bearings. I presume it was from low fluid level, but maybe that axle had another issue. Both are 8.25.

Last edited:
I had a ruffstuff cover on an 8.25 and I loved it.

I also ran that axle on 6* of shim for 3 years with a stock cover. the ring gear slings plenty of oil

I ran ruffstuff covers front and rear. My only issue was the bottom bolt getting completely chewed up by rocks. Usually only half the bolt head remaining after a good wheeling trip. I'd recommend the countersunk option. And not the drain plug, that'll get bashed to hell too and usually leaked because of it.

I like the riddler because of the smoothness. Protects the bolts better.

No complaints about the Riddler. It's strong, good looking, fits well and can take a good bashing without damage.
Thumbs up.

I ran ruffstuff covers front and rear. My only issue was the bottom bolt getting completely chewed up by rocks. Usually only half the bolt head remaining after a good wheeling trip. I'd recommend the countersunk option. And not the drain plug, that'll get bashed to hell too and usually leaked because of it.

I wouldn't recommend the countersunk option because the edge of the bolt gets bent making it a pain to remove and install the bolts.

The ARB covers look cool, but I think they are a bit much. The magnetic dipstick is a nice feature. I thought of etching a mark into it for the right fluid level. One negative comment I saw on them that dirt can collect around the dipstick and when you pull the fill plug you can get dirt into the differential. I think a front fill plug is the way to go. Nice and simple.

Thanks all. I bought the Riddler. I'm not even sure the Crane covers are available. I called Crawlertech since they had them as 'in stock' on their website and they're fairly local to me. They said Crane is now owned by Wide Open and didn't know if they had resumed production of the covers.

My $0.02, I go with Ruffstuff covers because off mounting and materials. Big fan of countersunk bolts, I don't believe they offer it anymore actually I've heard. :dunno: I know a few people with regular bolts and hydro assist and always had loosening and leaking issues. I've run a lubelocker and countersunk bolts, haven't lost a drop in years. Another plus for me is I can modify and weld brackets on them no problem, my front 60 cover has hydro assist mounts on it and my 14b cover is shaved and replated. I aim for rocks when driving.

I like my Solid. As Gordo said, cheap and tough. If you want to (or someday might want to) weld to it, Ruffstuff is the way to go.
You can run countersunk bolts on just about any cover, it's just a $10 bit & a drill press away.
I don't think you'd need a new cover on account of pinion angle as gear oil is sticky & going to be flying everywhere in the case, but if you want one, I recommend a Solid or Ruffstuff cover. Note that you can put a Solid on both ends for the price of a front Ruffstuff - but RS is the very vest.
ARB is a damn good cover, too, but IMHO overpriced for the increase in quality vs the competition (and I'm not sure it's any better at all than RS)

My $0.02, I go with Ruffstuff covers because off mounting and materials. Big fan of countersunk bolts, I don't believe they offer it anymore actually I've heard. :dunno: I know a few people with regular bolts and hydro assist and always had loosening and leaking issues. I've run a lubelocker and countersunk bolts, haven't lost a drop in years. Another plus for me is I can modify and weld brackets on them no problem, my front 60 cover has hydro assist mounts on it and my 14b cover is shaved and replated. I aim for rocks when driving.

They don't countersink anymore.

I think Solid makes good covers for the right person. I didn't care for the big logo in the back and the extra high fill port. I went with Riddler because the fill plug is about right and I can pick it up locally for an online price. I guess I'm lazy when it comes to filling up differentials. I keep 5 gallon pails of 80w-90 and 80w-140 synthetic gear oil and fill with a pail pumper until it comes out the hole. :) It was especially helpful when I had the 93 W250 with its Dana 60 and Dana 70 axles.

Back