• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo inop after bulb change

jrp544

NAXJA Forum User
hi all. I was hoping someone here could give me an answer on a speedo problem I have. I removed my cluster (97 XJ) to replace a bulb and paint the needles. re-installed cluster, do the reset for the cluster. speedo is inop. yet when driving I still have odometer and cruise works. I pulled cluster out, check for bent pins, loose connector, etc. all looks good. re-install, still no speedo. found and installed a replacement cluster from 2001 XJ. still no speedo. cleaned and secured ground on engine block. pulled cluster and mounting plate, pulled connectors out of mounting plate to look at backside and pins, all looked good. reconnected cluster, still no speedo. I have tried searching all the different forums, but none have notes of similar probs. anyone with any other ideas? even way off the wall ideas. I'm stumped. I can get another cluster from the seller, but it seems to be too coincidental that I have the same problem with 2 different clusters. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, jp

There is a TSB for the connector at the back of the cluster. It sounds like you thoroughly checked the cluster itself, but my guess is the connector is your issue. The factory wiring made for a tight fit and you may have disturbed it when you pulled the cluster. Gently tug on the connector to see if you can free up a bit more slack and make sure you have a solid connection at the back of the cluster. I would have thought perhaps the speedo was damaged when you painted the needles, but since the condition remained when you swapped clusters again I'm betting on the connector. I believe Chrysler's fix was a connector extension of some type.

Does the speedo work when you do the bi-directional gauge sweep with the trip button held down while cycling the key KOEO? Youtube has videos on how to do that if you're uncertain what I'm referring to.

no, the speedo does not cycle like the other gauges. I think that is what you are referring to. I have removed the connectors from the mounting plate and then removed the plate. that gave me enough room to push the connectors in by hand behind the cluster, but still no change, speedo inop. if it is the connector problem, do you think it could only affect the speedo? the odometer and cruise control still work. the connectors both look ok, the female pins all appear to be in the same position, not pushed out the back.

no one else has any ideas? shoot, hope someone can come up with something. thanks

That is extremely weird. Normally the odometer reset button test will run through all the gauges even if the cluster is being bench tested outside of the vehicle.(Just power and ground to four pins.) Before doing a bench test try disconnecting the speedometer sensor at the back side of the transfer case then do the cluster self test process.

To bench test 1997 clusters, hook these pins up to test the cluster outside of the vehicle. The gauge self test will work without a data connection.
Connector #1(CN-A on the back of the cluster, on the right when viewing from the back side.)
Hook pins 8 and 9 up to battery positive.(Pin 8 is key on power up.)
Hook pins 1 and 6 up to battery negative.

If it clusters' speedometers work outside of the vehicle then something is interfering with the cluster self test.

thanks, I will try that today. looking at the back of the cluster, I see #1 on right side of connector on bottom, #6 on top and on left side I see #5 and #10. I assume the pins run right to left, 1 thru 5 on bottom, 6 thru 10 on top. just want to be sure before putting power to anything. thanks, jp

thanks, I will try that today. looking at the back of the cluster, I see #1 on right side of connector on bottom, #6 on top and on left side I see #5 and #10. I assume the pins run right to left, 1 thru 5 on bottom, 6 thru 10 on top. just want to be sure before putting power to anything. thanks, jp

Yep, no funny pin ordering or anything.

both clusters fail, bench test and incar test with TC speed sensor disconnected. it appears to me I have another bad cluster. will get another from seller and update when that arrives

Back