• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ Exhaust removal at manifold and pre-cats

Hi all, I am trying to figure out how to remove the exhaust from the exhaust manifold on my '01 XJ. The exhaust connects to the exhaust manifold right above the pre-cats. I am trying to access the bolts from the bottom of the car. It would seem fairly straight forward, but the space constraints are so restrictive that I am starting to wonder if there is another way to go about this. If someone has some insight or pointers on how to go about this, the advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don

I have looked up underneath in the past wondering how this would be possible. This spring I pulled my head and once I had the intake off, it looked like it would be much easier to do the exhaust. Pulling in the intake isn't that hard. I would start by removing the air box and take another look.

Thanks for the input guys. md21722, I did not see how that could be accessible from the top, but now that you mention it, it kind of makes sense. I have been trying the go the route that you suggested CompleteCherokee. I guess I am not using the correct combination of tools. I have been using a 3/8ths extension and a universal with no luck, the length of the universal wont allow it to fit up in there. Didn't think to use wobble sockets for some reason. I will try that, and if no luck then I will pull the intake. Thanks again guys, now I know I am on the right track.

Just to follow up for anyone else that might come across this thread later on, I was able to get the exhaust out from underneath the car. I went and found what Sears calls their Flex socket in 15 mm. It has a universal swivel as well as being a short well socket. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Back