• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning body swap - experiences with vehicle shipping?

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 is is getting pretty rusty. I recently had to box a section of frame that had rusted through. Both rear wheel wells have been patched, the passenger front floor has been replaced, and of course the rockers were replaced years ago with 2x4.

This fall I am driving from Maine to the Grand Canyon and will have a little time in Santa Fe NM and some time in Flagstaff AZ to look for a rust free replacement body to receive my tailbone, skids, dual batts, wheels and tires, and rear discs (the rest of the build will be with new parts).

Who has had a rust free jeep shipped cross-country? How did it work? Are there shipping companies you recommend? Ones to avoid?

Thanks,

Ben

Can't help with shipping information, but watch out for rust in Flagstaff. They get lots of snow. Wikipedia= "among the snowiest incorporated cities in the United States". Seems they do spread some corrosive products for the snow and ice.

In 2009, I shipped my XJ from New York to California. I contacted a number of auto shippers and selected one based on price and my perception of their customer service. There are a lot out there that didn't really have a clue how to deal with a lifted vehicle.

I had a very good experience with my shipping broker and the actual trucker. Arrived to pick the Jeep on time, delivered it on time. It cost about $1000 to ship it; far cheaper than I could have driven it.

David Bricker / SYR

I would recommend looking in Central Florida. We have tons of XJs here in the I4 corridor (Tampa-Orlando-Daytona). Lots of soccer moms and old people bought them. Most have high mileage but have never seen dirt and are rust free. There are no rocks or mountains to beat them up. Shipping to the NE is around $700-800. Stay away from any that are right on the beach, as they will rust.

Back