• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel is in different place.

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
Everytime I come back from a trip I notice that the steering wheel is in a different place. Do you think it is the sector shaft twisting. If it is I would have expected it to have brocken off by now. I am double locked on 33s.

Stock steering or something else? Does "come back from a trip" mean a wheeling trip or just a drive on the street that's farther than the grocery store or work?

My steering wheel is generally off center after wheeling due to bending/breaking things. I'd start by thoroughly inspecting the front end and looking for things that are out of place. So far on my rig, I've had issues due to a failing trackbar mount and bent UCA mount on the passenger side. YMMV.

it's your track bar bracket moving around, or you're bending your steering links.

it's your track bar bracket moving around, or you're bending your steering links.

That.
Are you finding the steering wheel is off center one way after a trip then back the other way after another? If it is floating back and forth, it is the track bar moving around, probably at the axle end. If it moves the same way more and more, then something is bending, and ought to be visible by now.
If it is the sector shaft, it should be easily visible with the pitman arm off, and you are right - it would have broken it by now.

Make sure the track bar ends are nice and tight and the bushings are good to minimize. However, a small amount of movement under heavy load is nearly inevitable.

I had a similar issue for a few trips. Ended up being the drag link was bent slightly at the threads that go into the adjustment sleeve. It finally bent enuf that I couldn't turn to the right while parked.

Thanks for the replies. Yes after a hard wheeling trip. The steering wheel is moving in both directions, sometimes clockwise and sometimes anti-clockwise. There is slight movement in the top bolt in the trackbar. The tracbar bracket is double shear type and the hole is slightly larger than the bolt. That may be the problem I think.

Back