• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doubler, Teralow 4:1, atlas and so on

831_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I need input.. Cost of an atlas is out of the question but I'd like to learn more!
Looking into a doubler build or possibly Tera's 4:1

Who's done what? Wish you had done different? Did you have to bash up the floor or chop some out?

Any and all input appreciated :)

You could always go dana 300 flip kit twin sticks an add a low range box in front if it. Should be about the same overall size as a np231 and offer two low ranges a overall 4 to 1 plus depending on the low range box and the ability to do front or rear only drive or full on 4 wheel drive.

Cost wise would be about 2 grand more or less by the time you got everything from the different sources. Still a fair bit less expensive then a atlas.

Id go 241OR or an atlas.

I've got the Teralow and so far so good (knocking on wood). When it breaks I'll be upgrading to the 241or. Since you're actively looking, if you pass on any 241or deals, please toss them my way via PM.
If your upgrading from a 231, you should include the cost of new shafts when comparing to non Teralow or 241 cases.

For what it is worth....

Back in '02, I looked long and hard at the cost/benefit of converting a 231 to 4:1, SYE, 6 pinion planetary and the wide chain. The parts totaled up to 75% of the cost of a new 241OR.

I went with the 241OR as, IMO, the Terra 4:1 gear set reduces the torque handling capabilities of the transfer case owing to the smaller gears involved.

if you do anything with high wheel speed.... the tera-low is not for you. in talking with them, the input bearing doesnt live up well to dunes and mudding, where you can stay at high RPMs for extended periods of time. its an oil starvation thing.

the 241OR is a great box.

if your patient in sourcing parts... the 231/300 is the way to go. youll replace the chain drive with gear to gear. only think i can say you should do is upgrade the planetary in the 231 to 6 planetary for safety sake. if you can TIG alloys yourself or have machine experience, this becomes even easier.

^^ Can not possible agree more. The Terra kit is a sure path to destruction. The 241OR is rated to run in a 3/4 ton truck. The 231 is a 1/2 ton truck box and that capability drops as soon as the 4:1 kit goes in. Think 1/4 ton best case....

If the decision to keep the 231 is made, then I fully support the wide chain 6 planetary refit. Both items strengthen the box to a large degree. Keep in mind though that the 241 OR is a physically larger box with increased support in the critical areas.

IMO, use a new planetary. Also IMO, replace all the seals and bearing once the case is cracked open.

have a 241or with a homemade 231 doubler in front of it. Turns your transfer case into a 4 speed, and i use every bit of it. You have 1:1, 2.72:1 (in both 2 and 4wd), 4:1, and 10.88:1.
While many will say 10.88:1 is TOO low, it has it's advantages with a manual trans. It makes vehicle control super easy. I use it all the time, no need to use any of the foot controls, just steer.

have a 241or with a homemade 231 doubler in front of it. Turns your transfer case into a 4 speed, and i use every bit of it. You have 1:1, 2.72:1 (in both 2 and 4wd), 4:1, and 10.88:1.
While many will say 10.88:1 is TOO low, it has it's advantages with a manual trans. It makes vehicle control super easy. I use it all the time, no need to use any of the foot controls, just steer.

a 231/231 doubler was something that had crossed my mind at one point... how long is your 231/241 combo?

I'll toss my $0.02 in, I've got a StaK 3spd Monster Box. Its has 1:1, 3:1, & 5.44:1 along with front and rear output controls etc etc. I can swap between Low and LowLow just by shifting the middle shifter back and forth. Its was setup for a Jeep with 23 spline input, 1310 outputs, VSS, etc and was half the cost of a new one. Granted I know the problems and reputation of them but the ratios and ease of shifting ranges is ideal to me. I've been beating on it for a few years now and, aside from some leaks, its been problem free for me.

Not to mention the Tera 4:1 is like 1400$ now. Used to be a lot cheaper. I would never consider this an option. Hopefully I can get my 231/300 in before you pull the trigger pat. And you can take a look at it in person.

Another vote for the 241OR.
DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

Back