• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I need to change the fan Clutch in my yj and I was wondering what you guys think would be a good replacement. It is the 4.0 ho motor.

The popular choice is the standard duty fan clutch from a ZJ. DO NOT attempt to use the HD version as the fan blade will not fit the clutch.

All fan clutches slip. They slip more when cold so as to promote the engine to heat up faster. The ZJ clutch couples at a higher percentage than the XJ.

Having actually done this mod in the past, I can give you a fair warning here:
Your Jeep will sound like an Old Time car as the fan will be making a goodly amount of noise owing to the increased turning speed.

Unless you were having an issue, just use a standard duty clutch.

The HD fan clutch is a bandaid fix for an inefficient cooling system.

made in the USA Hayden stock replacement.

can be had for $40. Works like a champ.

where would i find a hayden unit at. napa? id like to find one at a parts store rather than online if possible.

what about running a taurus fan? the yj doesnt have a secondary electric fan. would i get better results with an electric or should i just stay with the stock mechanical

what about running a taurus fan? the yj doesnt have a secondary electric fan. would i get better results with an electric or should i just stay with the stock mechanical

a taurus E fan will never pull as much air as a mechanical fan.

where would i find a hayden unit at. napa? id like to find one at a parts store rather than online if possible.

rockauto.

that's where mine came from anyway. Made in Dayton, Ohio.

HAYDEN Part # 2737
$32 @ rockauto.

The ZJ V8 fan clutch is Not a band-aid fix for poor cooling system. It is the key to steady temps for slow speed/high RPM's
The stock system in tip top shape cannot keep the engine and transmission regulated when driving 8mph at 2000 rpm in deep soft sand for 12 miles. Or driving 45 mph in rutted sand.
Or idling with the AC on.
ZJ clutch, NAPA part# 272310 AdvanceAuto# 215149
And it is only a bit louder at idle.

Last edited:
The ZJ V8 fan clutch is Not a band-aid fix for poor cooling system. It is the key to steady temps for slow speed/high RPM's
The stock system in tip top shape cannot keep the engine and transmission regulated when driving 8mph at 2000 rpm in deep soft sand for 12 miles. Or driving 45 mph in rutted sand.
Or idling with the AC on.
ZJ clutch, NAPA part# 272310 AdvanceAuto# 215149
And it is only a bit louder at idle.

that is absolutely 100% incorrect.

^ Typo, should read 'correct'. lol
No terrain makes more heat than desert driving in deep soft sand and dunes.

it doesn't matter.

a ZJ fan clutch is not necessary if the rest of your system is working properly.

A properly working system cannot keep up in the deep stuff after a few miles. Unless it's a land rover.
There is simply not enough air flow at 5-10 mph and steady 2K rpm. The sand gets beyond 130 F so no help there either.
Each season we have vehicles combust and burn because of it.

Just be aware that the ZJ fan will make noise all the time, even when cold.
When hot, the fan makes a lot of noise and you can feel it using a good amount of power to spin.
Have one in the garage that I ran for a few months and removed after seeing a 1-2 MPG decrease in highway mileage. My XJ is my DD and I can't handle even less mileage when
the stock cooling system works fine for 99% of my driving needs
If planning on a long, hot weather 4X4 trip, I would definitely consider putting it back in...just for the trip.

^Thanks for the input.
I also remove the ZJ clutch come winter. My rig is a daily driver also, but going to the grocery can involve 10 miles of sand driving.
The noise has not been an issue for me.

^Thanks for the input.
I also remove the ZJ clutch come winter. My rig is a daily driver also, but going to the grocery can involve 10 miles of sand driving.
The noise has not been an issue for me.
If that's what your road looks like, cooling can be an serious issue.
We have a lot of dry, deep sand in the West, nothing will overheat an XJ quicker than running in sand dunes.

I've never had a problem with a properly functioning cooling system and a stock fan clutch.

even in 100* temps and crawling rocks.
If the proposed use for the Jeep is 95% daily driver and 5% weekend warrior, I'd do a stock one. I'd not want to sacrifice the power, MPG and deal with the noise of a ZJ clutch on a daily basis.

let's also not forget that the OP said he needed to change the fan in his YJ, which does not suffer from the airflow and skinny radiator issues an XJ has.

Yes that is correct as far as it being a yj. I just bought it and while driving home from Fontana to the high desert I had to stop a few times because it was overheating. I saw the water pump had some leaking behind it which leaves me to believe that it needs to be replaced. So with that in mind I'm going to do the water pump, tstat, hoses, fan clutch, and flush the radiator just so I know everything is new. My wife will be driving this jeep from phelan to Redlands daily and I don't want it to give her problems. The reason I asked here is because xjs are more prone to overheating and I figured I would get the best advice here as to here keep the 4.0 running cool. Is there a specific water pump and stat that I should run that will be better or just go to napa and buy one? Any other suggestions that I should do? I fought the shit out of my xj with this then when I finally got it done I put it on the garage and started a project with it to fix and build other things.

Back