• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Column Issues

paddlernate

NAXJA Forum User
The steering column in an XJ is supposed to be telescoping, right? Mine doesn't telescope/collapse at all under the hood, making it very difficult to get the steering box in and out. I've beat on it a little, but didn't want to get too crazy before I knew for sure that it was supposed to move.
Is there a trick to freeing these up so that they slide?

The shaft will only telescope when subjected to high forces. Consider it non-telescoping for most purposes. The reason for the telescoping function is to prevent the steering column from being pushed into the driver in a crash.

Your steering column isn't telescopic, it's collapsible in the event of an accident. Borgeson has a great website and I think they make most of the OE steering components.
http://www.borgeson.com/

Hot rod / after market stuff is frequently telescoping, using a female 3/4DD & male 3/4 DD for ease of install - trim to fit, add U-joints, done.
OEM stuff usually is a fixed length with a crinkled zone designed to collapse in an impact.
Don't beat your intermediate shaft any more, you might damage it or go blind or something

Back