• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap 92 to a 98

Metal Head

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for advice, I have a '92, body is a little beat up good motor, tranny, NP231, and a '98 for parts (bad motor), good everything else. I don't know if I want to swap all the good body (doors, front clip), interior etc into the '92, or swap the motor from the '92 into the '98. I have no experience with motor swaps. :dunno:

Are you positive I thought you had to use the newer intake and flywheel on the older motor?

92' uses same flywheel as the 98' and thats what he said, use 98' intake, exhaust and accesories!

XJR

Yep, everything will work fine.

If it is an automatic, pull the 4 torque converter bolts when separating the engine, leaving the torque converter attached to the flexplate when pulling it is the best way there is to damage the transmission or torque converter. Make sure the converter is fully seated before re-mating the engine and transmission.

Oh, and you definitely need both dowel pins/bolt sleeves on the lower engine block "wings" where they slot into the tranny bellhousing.

Everything else goes pretty easy. I'm a fan of pulling the whole drivetrain, marrying the engine and transmission on the shop floor, then putting it all back in, mostly because I hate doing bellhousing bolts inside the vehicle. The uppers have an E12 external torx head.

Back