• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 Cherokee Not Cranking. Help!

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
At first glance it was the exact syptoms my truck had when the starter went out. Had all interior and exterior power, lights, radio, etc. So I bought a new starter, still will not start. Doesnt turn over or do anything. Ran fine when I parked it last weekend. Thinking its the NSS, does anyone have any other ideas?

Get your battery tested. Check connections at battery and starter for corrosion. Do you here the solenoid clicking when you turn the key? Check the relay. When you turn the key, is your battery voltage dropping, like its sending power to the starter?

For the NSS, try starting it in neutral, and after wiggling the shifter around. You can try jumping the connection at the plug of the NSS. All kinds of write ups on the forums on how to do that.

I'd check all the free things first, before throwing money at more parts that might not fix anything.

Tried starting in neutral, no luck. My reverse lights are coming on too, read somewhere that they wouldn't if it was the nss. I swapped the relay with another one, still no luck.

If you have a meter, I would probe the terminals in the PDC relay socket for ~12 volts with the key turned to Start.

If there is voltage at the relay, probe at the starter and solenoid with key at Start.

If no voltage at all at the relay, NSS or ignition switch is suspect.

Check connections for cables at battery and starter (not just visually) as suggested by foreveryoung001, particularly if you have low voltage with any of these tests. Having voltage present does not guarantee good connections and adequate amps, but it is at least a start.

Ultimate way to initially check NSS is to hold key in Start position while moving shifter back and forth between Park and Neutral several times. None of these actions (including having reverse lights working) absolutely guarantees that the NSS is good.

Perhaps you have performed some or all of these checks all ready. Let us know results.

If you have a meter, I would probe the terminals in the PDC relay socket for ~12 volts with the key turned to Start.

If there is voltage at the relay, probe at the starter and solenoid with key at Start.

If no voltage at all at the relay, NSS or ignition switch is suspect.

Check connections for cables at battery and starter (not just visually) as suggested by foreveryoung001, particularly if you have low voltage with any of these tests. Having voltage present does not guarantee good connections and adequate amps, but it is at least a start.

Ultimate way to initially check NSS is to hold key in Start position while moving shifter back and forth between Park and Neutral several times. None of these actions (including having reverse lights working) absolutely guarantees that the NSS is good.

Perhaps you have performed some or all of these checks all ready. Let us know results.

Will let you know. Thanks!

What are the symptoms if a bad ignition switch? Everything inside the Jeep lights up or comes on as normal when the key is in the start position, I can hear the starter solenoid click and the fuel pump come on. Only when I actually try to crank the Jeep, nothing. Doesn't turn over, doesn't attempt to crank whatsoever. So Im leaning toward this since all fuses and relays seem to check out...

If the solenoid on the starter is clicking, there is a problem with the starter, the positive cable from the battery to the starter, or the ground cable from the battery to the engine block.

Since you have swapped out the starter, there is a reasonable, but not guaranteed, chance that it is okay.

Have you carefully checked the cables and connections?

Starter relay?

Back