• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 h/o... sounds different now

cracked-butt

NAXJA Forum User
ok so far i've done gaskets on the valve cover, RMS, and oil pan.
while i was working on the RMS had someone "help" me & the crank bolts got loosened. checked the book and retightened them to the 80ftlbs.
added oil and it just doesn't sound like it's running smoothly now.like it was before i started working on it. (trying to fix the mysterious oil leak).
think i found where my leak is coming from too... the oil filter adapter o-rings.
while doing all this work i did have the battery disconnected (due to removing the starter), and i know that the computer has to "relearn" itself. but im just not sure if something wasn't tightened down properly.
ok i know, its not easy to diagnose a noise over the computer with out a video so you can hear it, but it just sounds kinda rough now instead of nice and smooth. idk. its kinda late and im not thinking straight lately.:explosion

thanks everyone!

I'd check the plug wires first, to see if one got 'bumped'
during the work and is not making full contact. Also check
the vacuum hoses, etc. to make sure everything is connected the way it was before work started...

okay "cracked butt" haha, if uve reset the ecu(or whatever) itll run rough because its relearning the start-up... just my 2 cents, ive done many a mods and intently reset and it runs rough for awhile after

iirc it goes thru 50 start ups

Last edited:
The crank main bearing caps being loosened and retightened will not affect the running of the engine in any way.

Sorry you went to all that trouble with the RMS when the oil filter adapter o-rings were more likely the root of the problem all along.

For future reference and those reading this thread, that is why I wrote this:

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013

Back