• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing cover oil seal location

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
OK we all know that when replacing the front timing/harmonic balancer seal in the front cover MOST just put it in flush.I have seen a tool that aligns the cover and installs the seal.There is a beveled recess in the inner edge of the cover.When the seal is flush it is technically not all the way installed.I would like to know if when the jeep tool is used if it actually installs it to the beveled edge? In other words the seal sits in a little bit and not flush?

I'm curious about that, too. I wound up using a block of 2x4 and realized that although my seal is flush with the front of the cover, it is not against the lip at the back. I went ahead and put everything back together and after nearly 300 miles, everything looks great. (knock on wood)

They usually do not leak after replacement sitting flush.It is also on a new spot to ride on the balancer.I used a socket when I had the cover off and installed it to be "flush" with the bevel on the cover,it is just about all the way in towards to back.No issues either.I do believe it should sit all the way in.Do NOT use a Timken seal for the cover!!!I installed one and it failed in 10 miles!!! Just get a Felpro cover set,cheaper and has a made in USA National seal.Timken...made in China.:patriot:

I think I misread your original post, where you are referring to the bevel at the front, rather than the lip at the rear. Yep, I was worried about that bevel as well. I installed it as far as I could with my block of wood. I did use a thin layer of RTV on the outside of the seal as suggested in other posts, just in case. Grease on the inside of the seal.

I got the Felpro set with the seal, gasket, and that oil pan gasket piece that I did not need for my 97, and am very happy, as usual. Top quality stuff. I replaced the timing cover gasket and seal. So far everything is good. Now I have to tackle the oil filter adapter. I'm just glad it appears the ofa is the source of my leak and not the rear main! :)

Here is a tip on sealing the oil filter adapter.When you install the big o-ring on the housing put a anaerobic sealant on the outside edge where the o-ring sits.That way any oil can not leak pass that point.You wont be re-sealing after you do that :) Just a little bead is all you need.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ap?ck=Search_N2362_-1_1611&pt=N2362&ppt=C1984
Use the o-ring as this web says replaces o-rings!!! DO USE the o-ring!!!

Back