• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock air box: '94 has 2 hoses, '00 has 1 hose

330LICIOUS

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone help... on the stock oem air filter assembly (intake), both my 94 & 00 have the side rubber hose going to the valve cover inlet. the 94 has a second rubber hose on the rear of the box that runs to middle of the firewall. what's this hose for? thanks.

Pictures?

I was looking through old pictures of my engine bay of my 95' and it looks like it goes up to the firewall and over the the charcoal canister on the passenger side firewall under the A/C hose bulkhead fitting. That would make sense that it isn't on your 00' because they changed the design and moved the location to under the jeep fwd of the gas tank. Here are the pictures Im looking at. You can see the grey canister on the passenger side firewall.

The front hose connects to the valve cover.
The rear hose connect to the hard plastic vacuum line that supplys vacuum to the charcoal canister (if equipped)

reason i needed to know was because i need to smog the '94, but it has an aftermarket intake installed from when i bought it (in CA, that's a no-no without the CARB sticker). i want to use my '00 stock assembly for the '94 just for the smog inspection, so i think i can just drill a hole at the elbow and tap the rear rubber hose onto it.

that should work, i believe?

Its not going to look stock so they may give you a hard time. Got a pull-a-part close by? Stock intakes shouldn't be too much $. You may want to ask over on the Sierra Chapter to see if someone has one laying around or could lone you one? http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

that idea came across my mind (as a last result).... but i just decided to drill a hole into the '00 cover, and used a 90* plastic elbow (similar to the plastic elbow used on the valve cover's hose... taped it up inside the housing, and plugged the rubber hose onto it from the outside.... looking like it's stock now.

here's a pic...

IMAG1479_zpsmcwlm6gk.jpg

Looks stock to me! Now just hope it passes smog!

If you want something more secure than tape...you can find generic rubber grommets/adapters in the HELP! section of your local parts store. That looks good though, it'll work.

thanks for the help guys, and for the pics redneck... those really helped me figure out where to drill.

i just need to make it to the smog shop and back, once it passes, the aftermarket intake is going back on... until 2016 comes around.

Back