• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t case compatability

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
i currently have a manual 1999 cherokee with an np 231 and SYE the chain in my t case seems to be skipping. in comparing prices it seems to me that the best thing for me to do is buy a used t case and reinstall my SYE if it is still good.

i have decided this was the best bet because i couldn't find shift tabs alone and the rebuild kit won't fix the gears that may be trashed. i can get parts needed for the SYE so i can change whats not good with that.

my question is first what trucks can i look at for a donor? any grand cherokees work? i know it needs to be a manual donor truck with an np 231. right? anybody think i am going about this the wrong way i would love to hear another option. thanks

anything 1997-up will work doesnt have to be manual tranny you can get a 1997-2001 xj np231 or 242 you can get a 1997-2006 tj np231 or a 2003-2006 tj rubicon np241or(with work) or a zj np231

from what i have heard the auto and the manual t cases have a different length input shaft? i have also heard of different spline counts i cannot fine a manual donor here and don't want to remove mine until i have the means to fix it

What if a different 231 has the same issues ? Buy a new chain and shift fork tabs and install them on your current 231, that should fix it. If the fresh parts do not solve the problem, you can install the chain and tabs on another 231.

If the you find an automatic XJ for a T-Case donor, you can swap the original input shaft into the donor 231.

input shafts and splines isnt true about 1997-up trust me i know first hand...

examples:
i sold a np231 out of a 5-speed 1998 xj to a guy with an older zj (worked fine)
put a 1997 5-speed np231 in a 1999 auto no problems
sold a 2001 auto np242 to someone had no issues
and i put a 2003 tj rubicon 6-speed np241or into my auto 1999 with no issues then 5-speed swapped that 1999 and still had no issues

Back