• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pointers for Wheeling Black Mountain

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Here are some basic tips you will want to pay attention to when wheeling at Harlan.

1. The event is held in July. It will be hot so be sure your cooling system is up to par. Make sure you e-fans work. The trip up the mountain includes a series of steep switchbacks. You will get hot climbing to the top.

2. Harlan is steep. Many of the trails are carved into the side of the mountain. Make sure your brakes are in tip-top shape. You will need them.

3. Gas is available in Harlan. If your rig isn't registered, you can get gas on the other side of the mountain. They will let you drive on the highway with no tags.

4. Please be sure to pay attention to departure times. The trails are narrow up the mountain and it will be difficult for groups to pass each other. More details to follow on the schedule.

5. Plan to eat on the trail both days. It takes a long time to travel up and down the mountain so bring drinks (non-alcoholic) and food with you.

6. Rangers patrol the mountain so be sure you buy your park pass for the event. It is NOT part of the registration fees. A pass can be bought at the campground office.

7. Long pants and boots are a plus. There are plenty of ticks, mosquitos and chiggers around.

Re: Pointer for Wheeling Black Mountain

Just a couple more things…..

7A. Bring bug spray, you'll be glad you did.

8. Carry water and extra water, not just for you but for the Jeep as well.

9. Watch for bears

10. DO NOT reach under or let your kids reach under rocks without being VERY careful. The copper heads are fairly abundant and if it's hot they will be holing up wherever they can find shade. We almost stepped on a pair under a ledge on Lower Rock Garden last year.

11. Be prepared for sudden thunderstorms. It will be summertime in the south, so heat + humidity = wicked thunderstorms, especially towards the afternoon/evening. If you do get caught in a storm while on the mountain, expect the very same trail you climbed up to be COMPLETELY different on the descent down.

12. Cell service is next to nothing, unless you're at the bottom of the mountain at the camp ground. I've got Verizon and had strong 4G, but on the trails you can forget it. This makes communication difficult should you split off into your own little group and wind up needing help. If smaller groups decide to go off on their own away from the main events, please tell someone what your rough plan is, that way should you have a break down and don't come back, we can send a search team up to help. It's happened in the past!

13. Everybody who goes up the mountain will come back down. No man left behind, no matter how long it takes. No one likes to break, but i've had just as much fun helping people fix their rigs on the trail all day as i've had wheelin all day with no trouble. It still beats any day stuck in the office doing work!

Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I'm adding hood vents to my list. I need to get my CB rebuilt too

these are awesome, especially if you dont like the heat
Two-Speed-12V-Clip-on-Car-Fan.jpg

side note, what the heck is a chigger?

What are chiggers?

Chiggers are the juvenile form (larvae) of a certain type of mite of the family Trombiculidae. Mites are arachnids (like spiders and ticks).
Chiggers are found throughout the world. They most commonly live in forests, grassy fields, gardens, parks, and in moist areas around lakes or rivers. Most of the larvae that cause chigger bites are found on plants that are relatively close to the ground surface, because they require a high level of humidity for survival.

Good list of stuff to remember. Might look into some hood vents just to be safe so jeep doesnt get hot.

these are awesome, especially if you dont like the heat
Two-Speed-12V-Clip-on-Car-Fan.jpg

side note, what the heck is a chigger?

AC FTW! :D

Silly canadian.....you don't know what chiggers are? Side note, bring some fabric softener sheets and rub them on your legs to prevent the chiggers.

it's hot, but bad things lurk in the woods.

wear pants, and don't let hobag talk you into any awesome side trips.

0712101516.jpg

Lmao, what is a chigger?

These are all good points, parts of Harlan can get real sketchy real quick. There are also mountain deliverance hillbillies all around.

I'm excited to watch Lions Den.

Lmao, what is a chigger?

These are all good points, parts of Harlan can get real sketchy real quick. There are also mountain deliverance hillbillies all around.

I'm excited to drive Lions Den.

fixed that.

do it!

Here are some basic tips you will want to pay attention to when wheeling at Harlan.

1. The event is held in July. It will be hot so be sure your cooling system is up to par. Make sure you e-fans work. The trip up the mountain includes a series of steep switchbacks. You will get hot climbing to the top.

1a. Dual e-fans may not cut it; mine didn't last year. Make sure your fan clutch is good as well as e-fan. After last year the cooling system is my main priority for this year's Crawl. That and A/C :D

Back