• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old to new style ('99) intake maniold

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
Updating a 97 4.0 from the old to the new style intake manifold.
Does the fuel rail and throttle body interchange? Any other problems doing this?

You can put the 99+ intake on any 91+.

To put it on a 91-95 you will need to swap power steering pumps and belt tensioners, delete the idler pulley by the AC compressor, cut the timing indicator boss off the timing cover on the driver side of the harmonic balancer, and switch to a 96+ size serpentine belt and routing. You'll also need to swap some vacuum port adapters around so you have a port for the MAP sensor.

To put it on a 96-98, just bolt it on in place of your stock intake. Fits right in.

I believe they'll fit RENIX as well, but not sure on specifics, I know it'll require swapping to a 91-95 style fuel rail and an adapter for the throttle body, as well as all the stuff I listed for swapping it onto a 91-95, so I'll leave specifics for a RENIX guru to answer. Might require head porting? I honestly don't know.

You can put the 99+ intake on any 91+.
To put it on a 96-98, just bolt it on in place of your stock intake. Fits right in.

So it should be bolt on deal. Thanks for the quick response. Wasn't sure about the fuel rail since the new manifold doesn't have it, requiring using the 1997's fuel rail.
I'm assembling and swapping a stroker for a friend and want to make sure to have all the correct parts before tearing his 97 DD XJ apart. Hate waiting for parts while the vehicle is dead in the water.

The only thing I can add is that you should use an OEM intake/exhaust manifold gasket. I found that the holes in the gasket in aftermarket gaskets, such as Felpro and Victor Reinz, do not match up properly with the holes in the manifolds and the head.

OEM part number 53010238. Not that expensive.

My Heep: '99 XJ 4.0

X2 for Kasteins response, he is right on the money. I just finished this conversion on my '91. Reuse your injectors and fuel rail, bolts right on. Only thing that I could add is the fuel line bracket on the '98- has 2 bolts that holds it onto the manifold and the '99+ has 1. I just used the rearmost hole for now 'till I hit the junkyard. It's not really necessary to change it, one bolt will hold it just fine, it's just my OCD that won't let me have the incorrect bracket on there.:gee:

Back