• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice for building fathers XJ

Dirt22

NAXJA Forum User
We just picked up this little cherry last night, Its so clean and straight... Runs great. Kinda bummed me out because it made me realize what a turd my XJ is... Hahah

clmv.jpg

Anyhow, This is going to be a mild trail rig /Mall jeep for my father and his wife. They're both getting older and she has bad knees, so can't go very high.

I'm thinking a good streetable 3" lift on 32" AT's but I don't know what kits are good.

I have the rough country X-flex on mine, and after buying Johnny Joints for all the control arms, it works fine. It's a bit of coin though, required a SYE, gears, and is too tall for the old folks. (mine is on 35's)

My thoughts are a 32" tire could be made to fit in the stock location, No SYE, No re-gear, AT tires so they last a good long while (He's on a fixed income that Obama keeps trying to take away)

So, What is a good lift? Good tires?

Thanks in advance fellas...

If I were to build a shorter dd type xj, I'd go with a custom budget boost. 2" spacers up front, shackle relocators and a longer shackle in the rear. Bilstein 5100's all around. Kenda kevlar mt's because they are dirt cheap, good on road, great off road. Not the cheapest way to get the job done, but will ride and flex way better than stock. Upgrade the control arms when the budget allows, I'd suggest iron man off road arms or build some.

I'll check out them tires,... As for the suspension, I should have been a little more specific... The springs are shot. Bushings in the leafs are wallowed out and almost straight. I'm looking to lift it with new coils and leaf pack (no add-a-leaf)

I'll check out them tires,... As for the suspension, I should have been a little more specific... The springs are shot. Bushings in the leafs are wallowed out and almost straight. I'm looking to lift it with new coils and leaf pack (no add-a-leaf)

I got my 3-4" springs (settled to 3) off fleabay for 200 shipped, new.
Yeah they're pro comps but nowadays everything is made in china so who cares.
Right next to my buddies pair of 3.5" RE leaf packs they are 100% identical.
And they're pretty flexy, more then adequate for what I do.
I'd also suggest shackle relocators as well, they make a world of difference.
That and you can get RE 3.5" springs off amazon for under 80 a pair.
Get some bilsteins from serious offroad and your golden

I would suggest Old Man Emu 3" lift with drop brackets and some Edelbrock shocks. That should give great trail manners with great streetability and comfort. I would do a Spartan in the front for a bit of added trail capability. BTW did you buy that locally? I saw one like that for sale and it got me thinking a fresh build would suit me well.

Front:
Get some cheap 3" coils.
at 3" you wont need a track bar or control arms immediately, but can upgrade to good parts once the budget allows.

Rear:
for the rear, get another Xj stock pack, use the main and the 2 leaves below it. If thats not tall enough add a 3/4" lift shackle. You should be around 3-3.5"

For shocks go mono tubes all the way around.

Tires, go with whatever is in the budget, but Wrangler MTR/Ks are nice and a good price

if you want a one stop shop and done go with serious off road on here, and if the 3.5" coils are too much get the cheaper 4.5" and cut them down to 3".
he has a killer price on 3.5" leaves too. and bilstiens.

i would put it on tons and 42's right off the bat. you know as much as anyone that it doesnt pay to take baby steps.
:)

new HD/upcountry leaf springs (~100 each)
V8 Zj coils or spacers up front (~70 for coils, ~40 for spacers)
JK rubicon shocks (~50-100 used/ebay).

i'd run a 30-31" max.

John, found it in Poway... There's not a single scratch or rub under it, I don't think it's ever been off the pavement. It's got some noise in the back end, might be the rear brakes. Will know more next week. Picked it up for $2500... I wanna throw my parts under it so bad! It's real clean.

Dan. You are a douche. :roflmao:

John, found it in Poway... There's not a single scratch or rub under it, I don't think it's ever been off the pavement. It's got some noise in the back end, might be the rear brakes. Will know more next week. Picked it up for $2500... I wanna throw my parts under it so bad! It's real clean.

Dan. You are a douche. :roflmao:

Let me know if you want to do a little local wrench fest.

Back