• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to carry a spare 31 tire

pipewrench

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone made a bracket or other way to mount a spare 31'' tire in the location of the OEM spare?

I just got 31's and want to carry a spare. Eventually I will get a rear bumper with tire carrier but don't want to turn loose of the cash right now. I would really like to have it where the original spare goes. Laying it down takes up a lot of room.

I do not want to carry it up top in a rack.
If I have to I'll just figure a way to secure it with ratchet straps or something, just figured I'd ask if anyone has done something that works well before. Thanks.

Wow thanks. When I tried searching all I came up with was spare parts to carry on the trail. Guess I need to get better at searching.

If you can't find something search with google and input NAXJA after your keywords.

Put it in a roof rack either homemade or bought not the best places but you don't lose the storage space inside. That was where I had mine in the beginning 33x12:50x15" till I bought my rear bumper. Another plus is that you have even more storage with a rack.

I took out the little shelf, and fit a 31" in the stock spot. I used some 3/8" all thread bent 90 degrees through the bracket on the body, and double nutted it on. Then I put that through the wheel center, and used double nuts on the outside of a large fender washer. Held in place for several years. Even got a 32" in there but had to make extensions for the seat backs. After I put wj split rear folds, I could have run it with those in place since the small fold is on the driver side. I think anything bigger than 33" starts hitting headliner. If you don't have headliner, up to 33 or maybe 34 will fit.

I tried to mount my 31 in the back of my truck in the stock position, but I have a built-in speaker bar which prevented me from getting it to stand upright.

Re: Re: Best way to carry a spare 31 tire

I tried to mount my 31 in the back of my truck in the stock position, but I have a built-in speaker bar which prevented me from getting it to stand upright.

4u5e6uty.jpg

It is doable... just super tight.

If you have on board air or at least a compressor, you can run the spare at a low psi giving you a bit more room as the tire isn't as inflated. I have my 31" in the stock location with the bottom metal thing removed and the tire only at 10-15psi and it fits without a problem on my speaker bar and hatch.

I have a buddy who mounted a 33x10.50x15 spare in the factory upright position without modifying the seat......trick is to suck all the air out of the tire using a vac port on the engine manifold. Yes, the tire stayed mounted and didn't lose the bead seal. For those of us with onboard air, seems like a pretty good option.

I'm going to try this and if it fits, I'll relocate my 2Gal air tank which currently resides in the factory spare location. I might even jump up to a 4 gal pancake style air tank, if I can rig it up to mount inside the spare wheel........

Thanks for all the input...I may go ahead and pull the trigger on a rear bumper with carrier, I got a 2 gallon air tank for free so I kind of want to put it in that location now.

I had a lot of trouble getting my 31 on there, kind of a pain to be honest. Seems like it would be a lot easier if that threaded rod was just a little longer.
Xjeeper, where would be your next mounting location for your 2 gallon tank if you move it from the factory spare spot?

Back