• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel noises

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 400K, 4.0, 231J, 3" lift.

1) Sometimes when I turn the steering wheel, I hear sounds like ratcheting a ratchet with plastic gears. I am concerned that something is bad wrong. Any ideas what this sound is and is it safe to drive?

2) When it gets cold, my steering wheel squeaks real bad when I turn it. Is there a proper lubricant, and proper area to lubricate correctly?

Can these 2 problems be related?

Thanks in advance-

#1 sounds like a clockspring that's failed or is about to fail. Does your cruise control work? Do you have an airbag light on? The clockspring allows the electrical connections in the steering column to stay constant even when the wheel turns left or right. The ribbon extends and retracts into the clockspring. I wonder if this is the noise you're hearing as it might resemble a plastic ratcheting sound.

#2 is very common with late model XJ's. It's called the "Angry Goose."

Get into the driver side footwell and look towards the firewall. There is a large black rubber fitting at the firewall. Grab some lubricant or silicone spray and give it a good shot all around.......No more Angry Goose!

Steering and brakes are 2 areas where I don't take chances. The Jeep has to stop and steer. The above suggestions would not keep you from driving the Jeep, but a thorough inspection of the steering system is warranted to make sure you don't have a safety issue, especially with 400k. Have a dry/park test done and look for any worn/broken suspension/steering components. Is your power steering fluid reservoir full? Other than the noises, does the Jeep drive alright?

Good luck and keep us posted.....

Last edited:
#1 sounds like a clockspring that's failed or is about to fail. Does your cruise control work? Do you have an airbag light on? The clockspring allows the electrical connections in the steering column to stay constant even when the wheel turns left or right. The ribbon extends and retracts into the clockspring. I wonder if this is the noise you're hearing as it might resemble a plastic ratcheting sound.

Get into the driver side footwell and look towards the firewall. There is a large black rubber fitting at the firewall. Grab some lubricant or silicone spray and give it a good shot all around.......No more Angry Goose!

Steering and brakes are 2 areas where I don't take chances. The Jeep has to stop and steer. The above suggestions would not keep you from driving the Jeep, but a thorough inspection of the steering system is warranted to make sure you don't have a safety issue, especially with 400k. Have a dry/park test done and look for any worn/broken suspension/steering components. Is your power steering fluid reservoir full? Other than the noises, does the Jeep drive alright?

Thank you for the reply. Jeep seems to run fine, steer and brake fine. only concern is a knock/clank, when I turn right, from out of my driveway I hear a clank/knock from the front drivers side wheel area. I am concerned about that. Also what is dry/park test?

Thanks,
Jeff-97XJ

Thanks for the tip with the Angry Goose. I had the same sound and just assumed it was coming from near the ignition. No more goose now after some silicon spray!

A dry/park test is where you get your buddy to sit in the Jeep in your driveway on flat ground. Have him jerk the wheel back and forth while you crawl under the jeep. Closely examine every suspension and steering component to look for loose or worn parts. Loading the steering while the vehicle is not moving will highlight any weak points. Get the front off the ground and pull on the front tires at the 12 and 6 o'clock position to check for bad ball joints. Closely examine the steering box and look for any signs of excessive movement.

Based on your mileage it really could be anything. You just need to get in there and start hunting around. I would be suspicious of the steering stabilizer or perhaps a tie rod end that is worn. It could also be the steering box itself or how it mounts to the frame.

Back