• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 4.0L Supercharger Kit

CobraMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Yet another company building a kit.
Looks like a nice cast manifold. Wonder if he will sell it separately?

http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com/about-jeep.html

cherokee-kit.png

LS swap and / or stroker are cheaper for the power. The blower kit, though, is a Saturday project. Start with your morning coffee, have fun all night, buy new tires Sunday.

5 grand... You could get a full 5.3 / 4L60E & transfer case for 2000, say. Add 1200 for Novak's radiator, mounts & headers, 500 for gauges, we are at 3700 without driveshafts and only the obvious parts figured in. Then all the incidentals like getting the 4L60E & tcase to shift, the throttle cable or pedal install, the $75 worth of fluids (at least) and small parts... Not hard to drop a full 5K on the LS swap, I imagine, and you won't get it done on a weekend. So if it's your DD... No LS for you. Live in California? Going to be tricky to get that LS past CARB. They could ding you for anything from the gas tank to the cats to the air intake, fuel system plumbing, etc.

Stroker is a "well, maybe" - you could build / buy, get in under 5K (not hard) and install in a weekend.

Yeah, that blower kit is looking pretty damn good for the Jeep, much as I'd love to stuff a LS in there - 5000 for a Saturday project, especially with CARB stickers, is rad.

Last edited:
And another-
XJINTAKEMANIFOLDKIT-4_zpsa82e9bbd.jpg

which is this one?

Looks like a clean set up.

I'm not sure if it's worth the money though. There's no way the stock engine will handle the forced induction for very long (depending on how you drive), and the cost to rebuild the engine to handle forced induction would really sky rocket the price.

Looks like a good alternative for die hard Cherokee guys that want to stick with a semi stock power train.

I disagree. So long as the rings and seals are in good condition a stock motor should handle the extra pressure without issues. I've seen guys running 8+ psi of boost on motors with a heavy foot for over 3 years, with no issues.

I don't think running boost is the problem at all. The dynamic compression is low enough that the internals are fine.

I just don't want to spend that kind of cash on a kit or conversion just to pick up some horsepower. Sure my lump isn't going to win any desert races, but I'm not in that situation at all.

No way I'm selling anything, but I'm curious. How much would people on here actually be willing to pay for an add-on that would give an extra 60+ horsepower to a stock motor? $1500? $1000? $500?

An XJ is an XJ. Not Camaro or Mustang. I'd spend my money on lockers and tires. Already got enough power to get out of anything that power will get you out of.

Just sayin, power is not where it's at in XJ land.

No way I'm selling anything, but I'm curious. How much would people on here actually be willing to pay for an add-on that would give an extra 60+ horsepower to a stock motor? $1500? $1000? $500?

well this kit is $5000. terrible cost to hp ratio if you ask me. im with everyone else, you can get a whole freakin motor and more for that price, which will have more potential down the road too. the kit is cool and all but not for the price IMO

I know R&D has its costs but I personally wouldn't pay anymore that 2k for that amount of an increase in power. Now if it becomes carb approved that would be a high $ number as I'm in California. It would be worthit to have something bolt on to rub in the smog nazis noses.

1500 max. Anything above that might as well swap.

$1,500 is about the price for a do it yourself stroker that can easily get a 60 horsepower increase. Which ends up being cheaper in the end due to not requiring extra electronics to run the setup.

That kit looks ridiculous. The manifold looks like it has the minimal amount of engineering into it with essentially a box connected to some box like tubes. The $5,000 cost is rather high as well considering the last of the Sprintex kits are being sold off for $3,150 plus around $500 of additional electronics the buyer has to supply.

Adding a supercharger is for those that really do not want to manage doing a drive train swap and keeping a list of what parts get replaced from what models of vehicles. I had to make a cheat sheet for my Comanche that lists all the vehicles that custom parts came from.

Back