• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Griffin vs. Flex-a-lite... row count vs. row size

jls095

NAXJA Forum User
I’m going to be replacing my 13 year stock radiator with either a Griffin or Flex-a-lite unit. Both companies make direct fit OEM replacement options. I’m not worried about the money. I want high quality that will last (plus good warranties on both). I’ll be keeping the stock fan set-up.

The Flex-a-lit radiator is 2 rows at 1” each while the Griffin is 1 row at 1.5”. Griffin’s website mentions this… “The wider tube widths used in this product line create a greater amount of surface area in the same amount of space. This allows the product to far exceed the performance of the common two row 1.00 inch radiators.”

What do you guys think? Two smaller rows or one big one?

You can do a search as this has been covered extensively as a 2 vs 3 row debate. There are merits to both, but it seems as though the larger tubes with less cores seems to make more sense. With a larger single core you have more surface area of the tube exposed. Whereas with the double core, the second is blocked by the first, as well as the smaller tube being more susceptible to clogging

Owning a Flex-a-lite, I can recommend it. If you have an AW4 though, you will have to install a transmission cooler as the radiator does not have on in it. The rationale was to remove that direct source of heat from the cooling system.

You then have options for what to install. I just went with the Flex-a-lite transmission cooler. Everything was easy to install.

According to Flex-a-lite, the core is a two 5/8" row configuration.

In the 125+ degree summers here, I found that I like a single large row radiator with an external, separate trans cooler.
Seems to work great.

There is a lot more to radiators than surface area of the inside of the tubes. Unfortunately it's information they probably can't/won't tell you. How much heat can the radiator pull out of the coolant? I worked in project development for a German radiator company for years. A very critical factor in dissipating heat is the shape and angle of the fins that the air passes over. Some radiators can be smaller and more efficient. Ask them how many BTUs or calories the radiator can reject.

I was curios about the available information. The Griffin site is much more impressive. Isn't flex-a-life's claim to fame fans? The Griffin looks pretty sweet. I'd go with that if I was willing to bump the price past stock. Nice.

Last edited:
Griffin lists a few radiators. Which model is the single 1.5"? I'm researching a new radiator too, and all I find is "I ordered a griffin"

5-70095 1.5" tube 1 row "Exact fit"
5-291LB-FAX - 1" tubes 2 rows
5-591LB-FAX - 1.25" tubes 2 rows

The 591LB-FAX has a 2.5" core. I just went out and measured my stock setup (stock fan, OEM radiator), about 1 1/8 inch from the fan clutch to the fins. The stock radiator is supposed to be a single row 1" or so. It appears the 2 row 591 will be the one that hits the fan, which is why the threads I found talk about moving everything forward an inch. I'm wondering how the exact fit will work?

Last edited:
Griffin lists a few radiators. Which model is the single 1.5"? I'm researching a new radiator too, and all I find is "I ordered a griffin"

5-70095 1.5" tube 1 row "Exact fit"
5-291LB-FAX - 1" tubes 2 rows
5-591LB-FAX - 1.25" tubes 2 rows

I'm wondering how the exact fit will work?

The 5-70095 is the radiator I've been mentioning, 1 row at 1.5" just as you have it there. Moses Ludel features it in his youtube installation videos.

Thanks to all who chimed in. I'm going to purchase the Griffin rad. Since it seems as if there isn't much info on this forum about it, I'll go ahead and report back with pictures and how it performs.

We run the 5-591LB-FAX. I can tell you that while its some work to make it fit (it gets close to the fan, so you have to move it forward) it is a piece of artwork in itself, and it keeps our retarded big motor cool no matter what.

Maybe overkill for you're scenario, but if you're looking for the maximum cooling I wouldn't think twice.

Back