• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the power mirror wire harness under the carpet?

Happytrails

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the power mirrors on my 96 Sport today. They plugged right into the wire harness inside the door. Unused connectors were just there waiting for this. When I got the mirrors I also got the four way console mounted switch, connector, and a good section of the harness. I cut it out of the donor as it went under the carpet to the right of the console. But I cannot find that harness in my own XJ. Mirror end of the harness just plugged right in. But I cannot find the switch end of the harness. I figured it might be tucked under the carpet somewhere. I have not taken the whole carpet out, just pulled up the open edges under the console and in the footwells as best I could. No luck!

If any of you have removed your carpet and found a flat connector, that might be a clue for me.

Anyone run into this?

I was hoping for a complete plug and play project. If not I will build my own harness, since the door wiring is already there, but gets lost in the wires behind kick panels, I was hoping to find the other end with the connector for the switch. It's got to be somewhere!

My '92 didn't have any wiring in place when I did mine, I ended up building a standalone harness for it using connectors from someone in PA parting out a rig that had them. Wasn't hard at all.

If you had the connectors in the doors I would have expected that the end for the switch would be there - I'd have figured it'd be in that big bundle that runs along the driver's side of the transmission tunnel.

Thanks for the details on your 92. The door harness came through the boot to the kick panel and mirror wires go into connectors with other wires. But opposite side of those connectors have empty holes for the mirror wires! Easy enough, though. I just did what you did and fabbed up a harness from there. Also, I took power from the cig lighter. Figured it is already switched and fused, and very convenient. No under dash gymnastics to hook it up.

Nice having these mirrors! I have also added oem digital clock and cruise control from donor XJs. Kind of rounds out the oem options. Already had remote keyless entry, ABS, power windows, power door locks, AC. Nice on the trail, and nice for the long haul on the highway.

Yeah, the electric mirrors are a big improvement over the manual remote ones - my joysticks didn't work too well.

I chose to run power directly off the fuse panel under the dash (put an inline fuse holder somewhere behind the kick panel, if memory serves), rather than tap into the lighter circuit.

I've always thought it was odd that I didn't have the power mirror wiring in mine, being that it had the power locks/windows/radio antenna.

What makes it especially odd is that when I replaced the original headliner a couple years back with a late-model one with integrated sound bar, I discovered that even though the truck didn't come with lighted vanity mirrors in the visors (or even vanity mirrors at all), it was wired for the lighted vanity mirrors.

Just goes to show, you never know what you're going to find when you start digging into one of these things...

Back