• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and junk yard drive shaft?

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
alreayd have an SYE set up in my XJ but will be doing another one for my buddy, there any easy to pick up shafts from other trucks i can get at a local yard?

or ones that use the bigger U-Joints that i can upgrade mine to? i want to get a Tom Woods but $300 for that or probably $50 from a local yard is more appealing right now.

what trans/Tcase (im assuming a 231 Tcase)?

most people with an AW4/231 use a front DS from a rig with the same trans/Tcase. if you have a manual like me, you might need something a little longer as the trans is shorter. i got away with a front shaft from an auto because my hack and tap was a flange style, and the flange adapter gave me a little extra length. if you need to source something else, you can use this PDF to look up extended/collapsed lengths and Ujoint sizes from various makes:
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

FWIW... you ultimately want a custom shaft intended for the rear. the splines for a front shaft just arent meant to be used in a rear application.

EDIT: lol, blenny beat me to it. good source.

FWIW... you ultimately want a custom shaft intended for the rear. the splines for a front shaft just arent meant to be used in a rear application..

Really, how come so many XJ SYE's use a stock front drive shaft and have no issues ? Besides, XJ and ZJ front drive shafts are $17 each at the U-Pull-It junkyard. I must have at least 5 XJ front drive shafts in the corner of the garage.

because so many XJ owners do things on a budget. ive seen a few front shafts in the rear (thats what she said?) application eventually wear out and develop slop. and junkyard prices are not really tangible. the same shaft will cost you $75+ from a yard here in Mi.

i run one myself, and am happy with it.

but if you dont believe me you can call tom woods, they will tell you the same thing. and if you choose to have them build you something it wont be a stock front.

alreayd have an SYE set up in my XJ but will be doing another one for my buddy, there any easy to pick up shafts from other trucks i can get at a local yard?

or ones that use the bigger U-Joints that i can upgrade mine to?
why do you need bigger ujoints? try wheeling your jeep instead of modifying every little thing

why not? i'll have a 300+hp LS in there soon so i figure i might as well upgrade them. i don't wheel, no time and places are too far away. i just build things

because youll have to run funky conversion joints or upgrade the the yokes on the pinions. i guess it comes down to what axles are under the rig. if you/your buddy still has stock axles, the driveshaft Ujoints are deffinantly not the weak link. i know of a set that lived a (seemingly) happy lives under a 5.3 powered rig. running a 1330 isnt much of a gain in strength over our 1310s, and your losing misalignment. most places will tell you to run 1350s or stick with 1310s. then there are the yokes on the Tcase to worry about.

i personally find it easier to have uniformed joints throughout. makes the amount of spares needed on the trail less, and trips to the parts store easier.

ya i have a 1350 for my ford 9 and plan to upgrade the other 3 to the same. i was guessing i would have to get XXXXX shaft that is close or works, cut off the 13xx end and weld on the new parts i need then have a shop balance it.

is that something that's usually done? i haven't looked into drive shafts yet, mostly researching the LSx and some axle stuff now.

.. ive seen a few front shafts in the rear (thats what she said?) application eventually wear out and develop slop. and junkyard prices are not really tangible. the same shaft will cost you $75+ from a yard here in Mi.

I would expect a high mileage slip yoke to develop some slop at some point. Even at $75 each, two of them are still a bargain.

If a custom drive shaft is within the budget, or is required because of extra horsepower or severe usage, I would recommend one. Most people will do just fine with a stock XJ front driveshaft on their SYE.

now is is possible to just get a front shaft off XXXXX 3500 series truck with the larger 1350s that is longer than i need, cut a section out and have a local shop balance it?

I don't know, one of the NAC guys (vetteboy79 iirc) ran 1310 stuff with his one ton axles for years and blew up almost everything except the pinion yokes and ujoints.

I think you will be fine with an LS in there and are probably over engineering this.

I've done both: pulled/used a junkyard driveshaft ($60) and bought a Tom Woods ($300).

After the new joints, money and effort in refurbing the junkyard shaft, I would just buy another Tom Woods. Then again, I hate changing u-joints and I hate changing centering yokes even more...

Back