• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How freely should my front wheels spin

I had my heeps front end off the ground today taking care of some PM items. I was curious how freely my wheels should spin. Either side would only spin one or less full rotation. I couldn't feel anything dragging. D30, NP231. Going to change the diff fluid tomorrow, wondering if I should put it off in favor of a needed repar????

It aint a bicycle wheel. Look for clues when you pull the cover, bit wouldn't sweat it.
Are your u joints overly stiff?

It aint a bicycle wheel. Look for clues when you pull the cover, bit wouldn't sweat it.
Are your u joints overly stiff?

I don't think so but the only play I get is when I rotate the wheel by hand, back and fourth a few inches is all it takes to get the front drive shaft to turn. As you can tell from ALL of my previous posts Im sure, this is the first 4x4 I've ever really worked on, which I why I got it. I've got big plan, less money and even less know how.

No worries on that. There is a small am amount of play within nearly all components of the diff.
Barring metal chunks, or the oil looking like mercury, it's probably fine

It's not supposed to look like a silver milkshake? :jester:

Bug, there's a lot of stuff you're turning. Axle shaft, gears in the axle housing... There's going to be some lash there. Not to worry.

You also get some drag from the discs themsleves. Unlike drum brakes that when released, retract completely from the drum, disc pads drag along the surface of the disc just a hair above the surface.

What you are seeing is totally normal. Nobody mentioned viscous drag.

Back