• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Brake Running Lights- Don't work

RSQJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Any ideas on this one...

The rear brake lights work when I step on the brake, lights on or off. But, when I pull the headlight switch out to turn on the lights, I get no running brake lights, but they do come on if I step on them.

New headlight switch, bulbs, and grounds check out. Thoughts???

Forgot to add front running lights don't light up either. Could it be a relay gone bad? If so, where are the relays for the lights in this rig?

brake lamps are on a different circuit than the running lamps and taillights.

I'd look into a failing headlamp switch (the circuit responsible for the running & tail lamps)

Since neither the front or rear parking lights come on when you pull the headlight switch; do the instrument cluster or climate control panel lights come on?
What year XJ are you driving ?

Since neither the front or rear parking lights come on when you pull the headlight switch; do the instrument cluster or climate control panel lights come on?
What year XJ are you driving ?

Oh yeah, that might help! 88 XJ

Hard to tell, but I don't think the dash is lighting up and the rear w/w does not come on. I think we are getting somewhere!

Thoughts?

Some replacement light switches are "funky"--really poor construction.

The first thing I would do is CHECK THE BULBS. We often drive around with one lamp out, then the second one goes and we "assume" it just can't be two bulbs at the same time.

As to the poor switches--when you pull them out to the "parking" lights stop, the parking lights don't come on, but if you move the switch slightly off the stop position they will usually light up.

Good luck.

Well, did some experimenting yesterday. Eliminated the possibility of the brake light housing /wiring. Disconnected the rear light housing, and threw a fuse in, then it blew the fuse immediately. Sounds like a power wire is touching ground somewhere.

No, no trailer harness. This is a nightmare to find!

Ok, you have a couple of choices here.

1. Purchase a "short and open circuit locator", they can be had for around $100 off of Amazon/eBay for the electronic units, under $30 for the old-fashioned circuit breaker/analog meter style. Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on the old style.

2. Pay a professional at a shop to locate the problem. Find an automotive shop that specializes in electrical, they will already have the tool and you are paying for them to locate and repair. Get a quote from them on the time and labor rate.

Back