• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmision to tranny cooler hard lines

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
97' auto, 4.0L.
The hard lines coming from the passenger side of the transmission to the tranny cooler and to the radiator. What are the technical name/number for them? Found out my uca smashed them a good bit and want to replace them. Autozone had some with odd names and was hard to tell the part since they didn't have it in the store. Would greatly appreciate it.

IMO if the parts house you're using can't find transmission cooler lines, I'd strongly consider bringing my business somewhere else. It's not like you're trying to find a highly technical part

Tube, Supply, 5202 8328, 1 QTY, J, T ER0, DG0
Tube and hose, Return, 52028 566AB, 1 QTY, J, T ER0, DG0

Just in case
Hose and connector oil cooler, 5003 096AA, 1 QTY, J, T ER0 1997 XJ

J=LHD (4WD)
T=LHD (2WD)
ERH,ER0=4.0L Power Tech I-6
DG0=All Auto Trans

Always double check before ordering, my eyes are way old.

One of these days I am going to convert to AN fittings and bypass the rad "cooler"
Depending on exactly where it is, maybe cut out the smashed section and run a longer hose?
Our XJ's are old enough that I can see a reason why a parts store would not necessary stock the lines anymore. Heck, msot dealers probably do not carry many, if any.

IMO if the parts house you're using can't find transmission cooler lines, I'd strongly consider bringing my business somewhere else. It's not like you're trying to find a highly technical part

I looked it up, three different motor possibilities, two transmissions, that are coded. With all the hangers, clips and assorted hardware thrown into the mix. With much of the info footnotes. An easy one to screw up. Besides it being listed with the cooling system and not the transmission.

A long time ago I bought a small roll (maybe twelve feet) of forklift hydraulic tubing (the stuff that goes up and down on the roll with the forks) 10 MM ( or 3/8") I.D. and have slowly replaced any damaged trans cooler sections, using double hose clamps. That stuff is tougher and more durable than the metal or OEM rubber. I even cut it a little long so I don't have to fight to get it back off again, I just cut it and split it and use the excess to hook it back up again.

I even did away with the quick disconnects and use very thin double hose clamps instead of the quick disconnects at the radiator.

The only down side to the hydraulic tubing is it gets pretty darned stiff with age. The upside is it lasts forever.

I looked it up, three different motor possibilities, two transmissions, that are coded. With all the hangers, clips and assorted hardware thrown into the mix. With much of the info footnotes. An easy one to screw up. Besides it being listed with the cooling system and not the transmission.

I understand it's not as straight forward as say a filter but my tolerance for a guy running a parts counter not being able to find parts (not able to perform his/her job) is practically non existent. Perhaps it's because I'm spoiled at work (Shop foreman for a semi truck dealership). But from what you posted it's nothing that couldn't have been cleared up with a few questions about the vehicle.

It just tweaks me to see all these auto part stores with people working in them that don't know their head from their ass. I just prefer to give my business to the parts house that has good knowledgable people working the counter, whether that place be: Napa, Auto Zone, Oriellys, Carquest, etc... It's obviously kind of a pet peeve of mine, haha. *steps off soap box*

I understand it's not as straight forward as say a filter but my tolerance for a guy running a parts counter not being able to find parts (not able to perform his/her job) is practically non existent. Perhaps it's because I'm spoiled at work (Shop foreman for a semi truck dealership). But from what you posted it's nothing that couldn't have been cleared up with a few questions about the vehicle.

It just tweaks me to see all these auto part stores with people working in them that don't know their head from their ass. I just prefer to give my business to the parts house that has good knowledgable people working the counter, whether that place be: Napa, Auto Zone, Oriellys, Carquest, etc... It's obviously kind of a pet peeve of mine, haha. *steps off soap box*

The only time I get worked up is when there are multiple possibilities and you tell the guy there are multiple possibilities and supply him with the right numbers and he sends the wrong one anyway. I told the guy three times I needed a two row radiator, he sends me a single row and then wants to give me a lecture on their return policy and how I was going to have to pay for the shipping. I explained to him I'd been ordering from their company for over twenty years and if he charged me for the shipping I was going to drive the thirty miles and stick that radiator where the light don't shine.

My regular parts guys are pretty sharp really, they catch me in a mistake more often than I do them. Though I do occasionally get one who is dumb as a rock.

Last edited:
Back