• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator hose???

I replaced my water pump and fan clutch last week. I inspected the lower radiator hose and it seemed to be ok. Today, I noticed a small but steady drip from lower hose to the water pump... I THINK. I can't tell if the water is actually coming from the radiator hose or the water pump. It looks like when the hose is under pressure it forces coolant to leak where the hose overlaps on the water pump, which LOOKS like the water pump might be leaking. I put a few more turns on the hose clamp with no improvement. Has anybody had this happen? Is this a normal way to leak or is this A-typical????

Pretty common spot for them to seep is between the hose and the water pump inlet.

But before I tried anything else, tape a little white paper towel onto the tip of a screw driver and stick it above the the pump inlet near the bottom inside of the harmonic balancer. Repeat a few times until you are satisfied with the results. Hopefully you will see only a little oil or dirt and not coolant tint.

I always smear the inlet pipe with something slick, I use plumbers assembly lube. This can help you to keep from getting wrinkles in the hose when you tighten. And also helps when you take it apart again (hopefully years later).

Hard to get the clamp on there straight at this location, straight in relation to the pump inlet, not gravity. It is also hard to position the clamp so you can tighten it. One reasonably good position, is to have the tightening nut facing forwards at around the 11 O'clock position as you are looking at the pump inlet opening. You kind of have to guess where the nut is going to end up as you are tightening and compensate a little.

Over tightening the clamp, when it is crooked, can cut the hose.

A small mirror and a flashlight are your friends in situations like this. Many years ago I stole a small mirror out of my wifes purse, she is still looking for it.

If all else fails to get a seal, coat the inlet at the pump with automotive silicon, clean the inside end of the hose with a rag. Or in other words, glue that sucker.

Last edited:
What kind of seal? Gasket maker????

I use a non hardening flat gasket silicon (kind of exoctic). But have used gasket maker, regular old black automotive silicon, This is a last choice and not my first choice, cleanup later down the road can be a pain.

You may have some cracks or imperfection inside the hose, this is kind of a road repair and not something I'd count on.

Most times putting something in there to let the hose slip a little while you are tightening it is enough, it can stick and you can get wrinkles.

Check out the back of the harmonic balancer like I suggested first, if your new pump has a leaky seal, you are wasting your time. Way back when (in the sixties) I messed up a couple of new water pumps by over tightening the belts, I learned my lesson. I still have occasional episodes of tightening a bolt real tight, until it is suddenly real loose.

Gates Krikit II part number 91132

Buy it, use it.

You can check it out on youtube.

The 1/2" deflection method at the center point between the two widest pulleys DOES NOT apply to serpentine belts.

Back