• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No crank no start any idea's?

bat6ff

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 1998 Cherokee with the 4.0. I have read all through the forums to see if anyone else has had this issue and low and behold alot has but they all had easy fix's. Now I have installed new starter, alternator, battery cables, ignition switch and battery. Now that being said that took care of most of the other poster's problems wich leads me to the NSS i have checked that and it is good. I can jump the contacts at the starter and it cranks, I can jump it at the fuse block where the starter relay is and it starts. checked wiring and ground and seems good. Any other ideas? Before it was a intermittent issue. I am missing something and need any ideas you may have. Thanks!:smsoap:

Check all fuses in the Junction Block?
When you turn the key to the start position, battery voltage is supplied thru a fuse in the Junction block to activate the starter motor relay in the PDC, which should energize if your NSS switch is working properly, which provides the ground to the other side of the coil for the starter motor relay in the PDC. So when the relay closes, Battery voltage passes thru another fuse in the PDC, then thru the closed contacts of the starter relay in the PDC, to the Starter motor relay on the Starter itself.

I had a no start one time, after all the normal and logical checks/tersting, it turned out that on of the relay contacts in the PDC had broken loose and every time you pulled the relay it popped up and every time you installed the relay it pushed down and made intermittent or no contact with the relay pin. I opened up the PDC box, and put some 5 minute epoxy around the backside of the relay contact, and it was fixed.

Back