• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor dies Coming Out of Remote Start

JEEP55

NAXJA Forum User
Problem: Jeep Motor Dies.

1.My 1999 Cherokee 4.0 won’t start or run by key.
2. When key is turned to on, all lights on dash work. Upon turning further to start, all lights go off as normal But jeep won’t crank.
3. Door locks work. Headlight’s work. All electricals work
4.When key is turned to start. Clicking (relay?) is heard in area? of passenger side fuse panel box.
5 No Crank No Run

6. It does have a Viper alarm with remote start. This model is a couple of

years. Always had one. No real trouble.

When Remote control start is used.

• Jeep cranks and Engine starts Normally
  • When brake pedal is depressed to shift to drive, truck cuts off.(Whch it should do if key is not in ignition switch turned to on. But key is in and turned to on.)
  • Alarm Works normally. Alarm switches into and out of valet mode. Tells cabin temperature ,the whole nine.
  • Power Distribution Center Fuses and relays are all good. (relays have been switched to test, Fuses have been checked for continuity.)
  • Interior Fuse Panel fuses 10,11,19 and 25 are good)
Starter is 2 months old and starts instantly with remote start.
Battery is 1 month old reading 12.65 volts.

Disconnecting battery for 20 minutes and reconnecting did nothing.
I have jiggle shift lever between neutral and park and drive. No difference (suspecting NSS)
There are several fuses in power distribution center that I cannot find identification for. They are not identified in owner’s manual, or under the cover of PDC in engine compartment. Any help in identifying these fuses will be welcomed.

I thinking problem may be in ignition switch. Method to test ignition switch circuit or point to a relay that may be suspect would be appreciated.

Reasoning is:

1.The circuit that the remote start uses to start and run the jeep is okay, but the part of the circuit from the key switch to start and run the car is not working.

Anyone know what alternate side of the street parking means? Thanks in Advance

Back