• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1000 Miles to Glory: Off Road Racing Tribute Petersen Automotive Museum

http://www.petersen.org/visit/museum-events/braving-baja-1000-miles-to-glory

I tried getting the "tickets" for May 4th Baja Day and off road car show but the website shows that ticket sales close 7 days before the event.

I didn't see any online sales for the 4th. If you look at the schedule for the 4th, it says "register your vehicle" and $0.00...

I'm pretty sure you just show up and pay the regular fee like any other day.

From the site:
"The off-road show is included in the daily museum admission rate for spectators,"

Last edited:
Is it just this weekend? I might try and go on the 5th.

SATURDAY, MAY 4 - MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
GALLERY EXHIBITION
Summer-long exhibit of important Baja vehicles featuring artifacts of all sizes including significant motorcycles, trucks, buggies, clothing and ephemera. This never-before-seen collection of historic off-road racing vehicles will show where it all began and how it has evolved.

Well If you didn't go, you missed out...

Got to meet Dave Ekins ,the man who started it all in 1962...
Talked to him for about half an hour. Still super sharp and a pleasure to reminisce with... Got him to autograph my copy of 1000 Miles To Glory.

The Big Oly 2011 TT is on display in the lobby and there are a number of great vehicles upstairs. A lot of bikes, Bruce Meyers' "Old Red", Bilstein's Baja Bug (the winningest Baja in Score history), and of course Ivan Sterwart's first Toyata SR5 trophy truck which I helped keep alive until we finished building chassis 015...

If you have never been to Petersen's it's a VERY nice auto museum. Very well planned and maintained.

They also have a Gurney Eagle Indy car and a Gurney Gator motorcycle, both of which were built just after my time at AAR...

Also got to meet Harry Klumpp, the owner and restorer of the #49 "Mountain Goat" driven by Ted Mangels and Vic wilson in the 1968 Mexican 1000. The car is all original and in amazing shape considering the previous owner let it sit in his back yard for 15 years.... Harry DROVE it to the show in L.A. from Westminster...

m9j8fc-b78994241z.120120829124824000gaf19tm73.1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Ekins

Back