• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible TPS problems...again?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody

Well about 3-4 years ago my brother called me when he went to drive my XJ one day and said it was running kind of rough, and not wanting to shift out of first. I told him try a TPS sensor and sure enough that fixed it right up. I have lebaron hood vents, and this was after a lot of snow.

Well about a month ago, we got about a foot of snow, and the jeep sat while all the snow melted. I went home and fired up the cherokee to pull some stumps up, and while I was getting some straps ready I noticed it was idling weird. it wasn't missing, stumbling or anything. just random high idle. I then went to get on the road, and the only way I could get it to shift through all gears was to use my baja shifter. with the baja shifter turned off, I had to make it scream to shift to second, and It refused no matter the RPM to go to third.

sound like another TPS is in order?

Where did you get your last TPS from? I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but for most engine management sensors, I buy Mopar units directly from Jeep.

Well worth the extra coin in reliability and longevity.

I go through 1-2 TPS a year . I have lebaron vents. My jeep does see some snow and some deep water . Often times the thing is still under warranty. if it has TPS symptoms, replace it, and order a spare to keep in the jeep. I would also check the fluid, check TPS ground, maybe jump the ground straight to the battery, check for vacuum leaks, test the solenoids at the TCU.

Year?

Worst mod I did was to cut holes in my hood. I have to replace my TPS after every car wash. Stupid, stupid. I carry a spare everywhere.
I have wrapped mine in a rubber membrane. It still got wet eventually. The new one is slathered in water proof grease. We'll see how long this lasts.
2001 sport.

Back