• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throwout bearing or clutch???

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
‎99 XJ 4.0, AX15, NP-231 okay so i got a grinding/scraping noise when my foot is on the clutch pedal it ocasionally will go away when it is fully depressed and come back at about 1/2 way and sometimes it will do it no matter how much the pedal is depressed. im thinking its a bad throw out bearing or some filth on the clutch disc/fly wheel it has a centerforce stage II clutch and it grabs perfectly no sighs of slipping at all. I really could use some input.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151537220384002&set=vb.634484001&type=2&permPage=1

how long ago was the clutch replaced?
was the throw out bearing replaced at the same time? (common practice is to replace it every time your in there)
was the fly wheel resurfaced?
does the transmission shift through all the gears smoothly?

how long ago was the clutch replaced?
was the throw out bearing replaced at the same time? (common practice is to replace it every time your in there)
was the fly wheel resurfaced?
does the transmission shift through all the gears smoothly?

ik the throwout bearing pilot and pressure plate and clutch disc were replaced. nto sure about the flywheel the transmission shifts smoothly through all the gears except 3rd which is a worn syncro

my AX15 started having issues with 3rd gear too... syncros, them moved to second. i babied it for 3 years by double clutching. lol.

judging by your username, your cherokee is a '99? that would make it external slave... pulled it out and looked at it recently? fluid levels where they should be? the problem being intermittent might be an issue with the clutch hydraulic system. aside from checking the obvious, i cant offer much more than to tear it apart and look for the problem.

Back