• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 bad synchro? bad clutch or T.O.? Perplexed!

I"ve NEVER been able to downshift at ALL (in any way) on my AX-15 - someone once explained to me there was some sort of 'lock out' to prevent downshifting on the AX-15... which bummed me out a lot (cause i LOVE downshifting) but I got used to it pretty fast.

AX15's dont like being driven like a sports car MT, (its actually the jeep clutch) you can do it... it just involves a biyearly rebuild/resyncro.

PROTIP: Letting your transmission guy see your short throw shifter WILL result in higher invoice totals.

Could the clutch itself be worn out and slipping and making the noise, rivets scrapping the pressure plate?

Or a slipping clutch pack in the transfer case (wild guess, as I have little experience with them)

interesting possibility maybe...! hmmm but how to test that theory...?

How was the fluid?

In your situation, i wouldve dropped the fluid to a new oil pan, and re-used it. Worst case scenario youd find shavings, which would mean you will be rebuilding soon, why waste the fluid? As you mentioned, its expensive.

If it was your syncros, you wouldve found this:
njud34b.jpg

i found NOTHING in the fluid, weirdly... i was expecting at least a small amount of metal shavings from a transmission with 275k miles on it... if not a lot more. in some ways it would be more concerting to have gotten more...

Maybe they are long gone, you Mention not being able to downshift as long as you can remember, maybe the previous owner killed the syncros then ditched the evidence.

If you never could downshift... Something's wrong with that ax15... I can go from 80 to 10 mph thru 4 gears without a single grind or rev match.

The only transfer case that has a "clutch" is the quadra-trak (249 I think). It has what's called a " viscous coupler". Fancy word for part time clutch. Allows the 60/40 power split. It's also expensive and I just swap out a 242 or 241.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told here ages ago, there is a clutch pack much like in an automatic transmission that engages the front wheels. 4wd. I forget the details

interesting possibility maybe...! hmmm but how to test that theory...?
Pull the clutch and examine it. If it is down to the rivets it is shot.

Maybe they are long gone, you Mention not being able to downshift as long as you can remember, maybe the previous owner killed the syncros then ditched the evidence.

If you never could downshift... Something's wrong with that ax15... I can go from 80 to 10 mph thru 4 gears without a single grind or rev match.

you make it sound like i'm constantly grinding gears trying to downshift. not in the LEAST. It's just impossible to move it to a lower gear directly.. for whatever reason. No grinding - but it would never budge that direction - in the sixteen or so years I've had it. Not possible. if you go directly to a lower gear you can feel there's some kind of metal stop blocking you. I just assumed it was part of the design. But i was also told that by someone... it had 169K on it when i bought it so anything is possible. But it's not something that really worries me..

Pull the clutch and examine it. If it is down to the rivets it is shot.

i might end up trying that Mike - thanks. Guess I'd do the TO and the thrust bearing at the same time (?)

is there any sure fire way to test for clutch vs transmission malfunction...? sorry I wish i could get a good audio recording of this for people to listen to...

hmm... just a thought here... my clutch pedal has always been kind of misadjusted...meaning you BARELY have to touch it to disengage the clutch.. I'm wondering if there's a way to set the height so that i can ensure it's got nothing to do with poor adjustment or drift over time...

you make it sound like i'm constantly grinding gears trying to downshift. not in the LEAST. It's just impossible to move it to a lower gear directly.. for whatever reason. No grinding - but it would never budge that direction - in the sixteen or so years I've had it. Not possible. if you go directly to a lower gear you can feel there's some kind of metal stop blocking you. I just assumed it was part of the design. But i was also told that by someone... it had 169K on it when i bought it so anything is possible. But it's not something that really worries me..

Ok, but there ISNT a metal stop to prevent you from downshifting... So go kick whomever told you they square in the nuts for making shit up and lying to you, because it's horse shit.

At this point I am with ecomike,
Pull the clutch... Anything else is speculation...
Good luck!

hmm... just a thought here... my clutch pedal has always been kind of misadjusted...meaning you BARELY have to touch it to disengage the clutch.. I'm wondering if there's a way to set the height so that i can ensure it's got nothing to do with poor adjustment or drift over time...

That sounds like a slave cylinder problem, which I know nothing about on the ax-15s.

That very thing could have worn out the clutch if the pressure plate is not traveling far enough, getting enough grip on the clutch.

Back