• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After-accident steering issue boggle.

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
I jammed my steering box and pitman arm up about 15 degrees or so after an accident. Obviously the steering wheel is off (90 degrees ~), and i think the wheel is tilted up more too... but would this cause a toe in or out issue? I've been doing some scenarios in my head, but I'm still not sure. I'm going to align it to sure, but my tires hum a different tune than before. Anything else I should look for? Thanks!

Any time you alter the distance between the pitman arm and the wheel you will change the toe. You would need to extend the drag link to compensate for the added distance from it being pushed up. I'm not sure how long I'd want to drive it that way, though. The steering gear box mount is notoriously weak in it's stock condition and I'm sure it being bent didn't do it any favors.

Have you repaired the accident damage ?

Yup, well the major parts. I had a softball size hole in my radiator with a bit of tail light in it. Changed almost the entire cooling system while I was at it. Gotta fix the lights and steering next I suppose.

Any time you alter the distance between the pitman arm and the wheel you will change the toe. You would need to extend the drag link to compensate for the added distance from it being pushed up. I'm not sure how long I'd want to drive it that way, though. The steering gear box mount is notoriously weak in it's stock condition and I'm sure it being bent didn't do it any favors.

Good to know, I assume I shifted the steering box, I can't find An alternative, besides it isn't parallel to the ground loke I think it provably was. Not sure what I'm gonna do about it though. Hitting it with a mallet doesn't seem right, haha.

what kind of accident exactly? somethign where you "crinkled" the unibody/frame ?
you would need to straighten the frame out and brace the heck out of the frame if it has been compromised. and possibly a new box before really taking it out, and pitman arm.

was it like a baby fender bender or serioes enough to alter the frames condition?

what kind of accident exactly? somethign where you "crinkled" the unibody/frame ?
you would need to straighten the frame out and brace the heck out of the frame if it has been compromised. and possibly a new box before really taking it out, and pitman arm.

was it like a baby fender bender or serioes enough to alter the frames condition?

Rear ended a Malibu, (destroyed it) like 15-20 mph. My bumper fell off and it squashed some front end parts like the ac condensor, rad, grill. Drives straight, and looks relatively straight as far as wheels to body goes (if I look cross eyed at it straight on the left wheel looks angled, but like I know what I'm looking at). I did a moderate once over of things I damaged, but it doesn't appear to have bent the frame. Who really knows, i dont know how to check for minumal tweaks. Air bags blew up in my face, corn starch in my eyes. That's what I get for living in detroit I frequently find out.

Last edited:
T-boned an excursion that decided to pull out in front of me. Hit him doing 30
2012-10-26_08-12-51_264_zpsa545291d.jpg

Total loss
2012-10-26_08-13-05_96_zps4265774e.jpg

Tweaked the unibody right above the driver side wheel well. Told me I'd need an entire front end

Edit: totaled the excursion too

Look for a crinkle on the inner Fender line in the engine bay

Nice, great info and pics. I've got nothing like that. The fender bowed out a little in the front, but I put it with no effort. I don't have any hood creases either. Kinda feel better, but I better I spect further. I will have to put up a pic or two tomorrow just for fun .

I hope yours isn't as bad, we needed two people and a pry bar to open the hood and i had to kick the door open to get out. I wasn't very happy.
But the silver lining is i got my mj out of it and i love it

I hope yours isn't as bad, we needed two people and a pry bar to open the hood and i had to kick the door open to get out. I wasn't very happy.
But the silver lining is i got my mj out of it and i love it

Yeah, I bet. I think the bumper took most of the impact (ironically, haha). I'm really intrigued by all this, so I think I'll do a real thorough inspection. Maybe that's the plus side to hitting a plastic car.

Metal beats plastic, but it still bites enough to cause problems. I'd have someone experienced with collisions look at it just to be safe

Back