• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

header fit

sandsgg

NAXJA Forum User
So i have an 88 mj that has a leaking intake/exhaust gasket and the donut leaks (could be the collector is cracked not sure). I have an edelbrock Shorty header from my 95, if i cut a new hole in the header for the egr system, will it fit right
Thanks in advance

So i have an 88 mj that has a leaking intake/exhaust gasket and the donut leaks (could be the collector is cracked not sure). I have an edelbrock Shorty header from my 95, if i cut a new hole in the header for the egr system, will it fit right
Thanks in advance

It should fit. You will need to do one of two things for the O2 sensor though. Either have a bung welded in to the header or use the bung from the later model headpipe you're gonna need. Your idea on the EGR bung is sound. Getting the right EGR piping between the intake and exhaust will be tricky.

The Renix intake manifolds, when used with the HO exhaust manifolds, need to be filed at both ends as shown in the photo below. Keep in mind that intake manifold is sitting upside down on my bench.

Nevermind the photo. can't post it.

Ok so i can make it work... Just need to show it some love. I forgot the o2 sensor is in the down pipe for the ho version lol. I'll shoot you a pm with my email for the pic of the setup you were taking about. Ty

I'd like to keep it intact and original. How much of an effect will just deleting that pipe between the intake and exhaust have i wonder the hole for the o2 sensor isn't a big deal

you could always plug the EGR if you live in Warmer climates. If you live in a colder area I wouldnt do it. I plugged the EGR when I put on a Pacesetter header on my 88.

EGR has nothing to do with climates. It recirculates exhaust gasses into the intake manifold for emission purposes.

Are you referring to the hot air tube from the exhaust manifold to air intake by chance?

EGR has nothing to do with climates. It recirculates exhaust gasses into the intake manifold for emission purposes.

Are you referring to the hot air tube from the exhaust manifold to air intake by chance?

I thought it recirculated it to help get the engine temps up to thin the oil better and in turn lower oil pressures?

I had a Ford Ranger 2.3L that blew the EGR pipe while traveling. I couldn't get the parts quickly on the road. I found the closest FleetPride (large truck parts supplier) and had them find a piece of turbo hose that was the right diameter. I spliced the two ends of the pipe back together after cutting the cancer section out. It worked great. Turbo hose can take some heat(silicon maybe).

It may be a route you will have to go or you will have to custom build that pipe.

Leave the EGR system in place, don't mess with emissions, make it work then maintain it.

That is my public service announcement for the day LOL!

Back