• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator needs to be replaced again

2001JeepXJNS

NAXJA Forum User
Question:

I have a 2001 xj with 180k on it. Looks like it is time to replace my radiator again. I have always just taken it in to get them replaced in the past (this will be my 4th one) Im thinking of just doing it myself this time.

Looked in the manual and doesnt seem like it will be too hard to do. Just wondering what kind to get and from where, (I'm guessing they are probably all made by the same company in China anyway...) and any tips, tricks or suggestions?

BTW - I hate these piece of crap plastic sided radiators! It split at the same location as last time, on the passenger side seam.

Thanks

CSF 3 row, all metal radiator is the one to buy. No more plastic tanks, better cooling, and good price. I get em from radiatorbarn.com

The install is pretty simple. just remove the upper crossmember and pull the rad out. Install is reverse of removal. Most of us just pull the lower hose to dump the coolant instead of using the draincock.

If you're really new at this you want to take great pains to prevent the fan blades from digging into the new radiator fins.

Cut a large section from the box the new radiator came in and use it between the rad and the fan as you install the rad. (or the fan or both)

I installed a new water pump at the same time since it's so easy to get to once the radiator and fan and shrouds are out of the way.

I haven't tried this job, but have done extensive reading on. It seems the main hurdle is the tranny cooler lines. With a bad radiator, the steel lines don't line up. People seem to have issues with the quick disconnect lines. I'd get the disconnect tool. Some hacksaw the line off and flare the ends, or something.

I used a disconnect tool and had no trouble. Main trouble was seeing the connections clearly enough to figure it out. (no external transmission cooler on mine, just the radiator internal one)

CSF 3 row, all metal radiator is the one to buy. No more plastic tanks, better cooling, and good price. I get em from radiatorbarn.com

The install is pretty simple. just remove the upper crossmember and pull the rad out. Install is reverse of removal. Most of us just pull the lower hose to dump the coolant instead of using the draincock.

X2, what he said!!!

The cardboard is a good idea.

Mine does have the tranny line on the bottom with a "quick" connect, maybe I will run to harbor freight on my way home and pick up a cheap set. If anyone can think of anything else I would appreciate it.

Also, I am going to flush the system (and clean the plastic jug out) with one of those flush n fill kits.

This one look OK?

2001 JEEP CHEROKEE - 4.0 liter L6 RADIATOR All Aluminum 2-Row Replacement

This OEM quality all aluminum radiator has no plastic at all.. rather hand soldered aluminum sides and a thick 1 row tube It comes with our Lifetime Express Warranty and is a great internet buy!
CORE SIZE: 31 x 11-1/8 x 1-1/4
NOTE: Works for auto and manual applications.

http://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...ow+Replacement&part_id=218218&aaia_id=1373666

Why are you guys going through radiators like this,
4 Radiators @ 180K miles? Something has to be wrong?
I have 2 Jeeps an XJ with 150K & a TJ with 190K, Both still on their OEM radiator.

1st one had a leak previous owner used some kind of leak stop. I went to flush the system and everything was gunked up. So i took it to a radiator express they supposedly power flushed the system but still didnt get all the gunk out. They put a new cheap rad in that lasted a few years and split at the seam. Took it to a certified jeep shop, they put a new one in and flushed the system and found my water pump blades basically disintegrated (probably because of that stop leak stuff that was still in the system). That was a year and half ago. This week found that my driveway had a few spots on it and was hoping it was a hose or fitting. But no luck it was the seam AGAIN.

Your right something is wrong, the Chinese are making cheap piece of junk equipment.

This one look OK?

2001 JEEP CHEROKEE - 4.0 liter L6 RADIATOR All Aluminum 2-Row Replacement

This OEM quality all aluminum radiator has no plastic at all.. rather hand soldered aluminum sides and a thick 1 row tube It comes with our Lifetime Express Warranty and is a great internet buy!
CORE SIZE: 31 x 11-1/8 x 1-1/4
NOTE: Works for auto and manual applications.

http://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...ow+Replacement&part_id=218218&aaia_id=1373666

Picked this up today they double checked that is the correct one for my model year and engine size... Just opened it and doesn't appear there is a transmission line connection point on the bottom. Thoughts?

The transmission cooler lines attach to the tank without the filler cap--the "bottom" (side) tank.

If you orient the new radiator the same as the one currently in your XJ, and there are no openings (perhaps plugged) for the cooler line fittings, then they screwed up the radiator and that should be a clear enough sign that a refund is in order.

NOT A FAN OF ALUMINUM RADIATORS, and truly not a fan of cheap import aluminum radiators.

Caveat emptor is Latin for "Don't buy cheap junk."

looks like its on the side as well as a outlet for cooling the oil which I dont currently use.

I like that it has a lifetime warranty and they made arrangements for me to pick it up from the manufacturer today.

I found that radiator express is just a 3rd party that manufactures nothing just coordinates the sale from wholesalers / manufactures to retail buyers.

I dealt with a similar company/story, genesis auto here in socal.
Same deal, cheap, local, and all aluminum.
Same deal, just a reseller of foreign chinese crap.

My first one was ok, that convinced some friends of mine to buy from the same company. They had ones that arrived fresh with bent filler necks, leaking brand new, etc.

I would have to agree, stay away from cheap resellers. They are a dime a dozen. You can get a decent one from the top of the pallet, or a pre-bent POS from the bottom of the pallet, depending on your luck.

IMHO they are all resellers. There is only one good, reliable radiator available that I know of, CFS all metal, brass-copper.

All the people selling aluminum radiators I talked to in Jan last year, said they were all having weld joints vibrate loose problems especially on jeep radiators, and they said they were failing as fast or faster than Plastic at the time. I got the impression it may be partly a mounting problem on the jeeps.

While aluminum condensers seem to last for a decade or two (depending on road salt issues) at least where I live, I don't trust aluminum in a cooling system with iron also in the system (head and blocks) for thin radiator cooling tubes.

I still have the OEM brass heater core (working) in my 87 XJ, 25 year old, 289,000 miles. No way aluminum would have lasted anywhere near that long.

Finished today:
Started by flushing system, took at least 20 mins for the water to start coming out clear.
Sprayed down all nuts bolts screws with liquid wrench - important
Took out resevior and cleaned completely. Took several times of rinsing.
Removed fan and fan shroud.
Removed top rad plate cover.
Disconnected hoses all easy except the stupid quick connect (tool didn't work) ended up cutting tube and disassembling on my work bench
Took out old rad
Removed old thermostat and housing and replaced both with new, easy just two bolts and take off and replace new hoses. Don't forget new gasket and clean block where the new gasket will go.
Sprayed whole area with CLR and letted it sit overnight to so old fluid is easily cleaned next day
*****next day******
Put in new rad
Connected all hoses with NEW hose clamps
Everything else in reverse
*****suggestions*******
Completely flush first including heater core
Clean overflow tank
Liquid wrench
Be careful removing and reinstalling fan, clips can easily break
Don't rush take time to clean up areas where leaked fluid might have pooled.
Maybe take a few pics so you will remember how everything goes back together
Plan on 5-6 hours total, I'm sure it can be done quicker but taking your time and checking / cleaning components may pay off in the long run

Its not hard, do it yourself don't go to some "radiator express" place. Get some beer some good tunes and have fun!

Back