• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral safety switch problem

Gnarlyrider27

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am not new to the site just forgot all my old info but I had to sell off all my XJ's and now I am getting another in a week but my friend has a 90 xj with the 4.0 auto and it wont start. I had done alot of work on the engine for her about 2 years ago and ran great for 8 months now it wont start in park or neutral. I had cleaned it and replaced it and checked all the wiring to it and still no luck. Am I looking over something or is it something else? Yesterday I checked all the grounds and all the powers and made sure there wasn't any broken or loss wires any where on it.

The NSS has to be positioned correctly. Have you tried having someone turn the key while you move the NSS?

BASICS TIME.

Check static battery voltage. Check voltage drop over the main cables. Jump the starter solenoid and see if it will crank--please chock the wheels and make sure it is in Park.

If that doesn't get you there test the starter relay.

Post up what you find.

Back