• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Snorkel or not to Snorkel

98xjcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about installing a Snorkel on my Rig 98 classic.I just wanted to get some user input. Pros Cons? How hard are these to install? is there a good brand i might want to go with?

Any input would be appreciated :cheers:

I got my snorkle because I was tired of having my air filters clogged with dust from the desert. It added a bit of power on the highway as well.

The only things I don't like is that the hose can get hung by a large tire and I want to exo the rig and I am having problems figuring out how to work around the snorkle.

^^^^^ This! I'm not worried about water but I get three times the life out of my air filter.

I had a Safari brand on my old jeep and an Airflow on my new one.

Safari pros:
Fit and finish 10x what the airflow is. They mold to the body better and generally just look better.

Cons:
If you run bushwacker pocket flares they won't work unless you cut into the flare. The air tube runs down through the inside of the fender. If you have a newer jeep you'll have to relocate the washer fluid bottle.

Airflow Pros:
Price is a little better, you can use your factory washer bottle, they will fit with most aftermarket flares.

Cons:
Fit and finish sucks. While the air tube allows you to use your factory washer bottle, it punches through the structural part of the inner fender and makes some people nervous. If you have anti lock brakes the hose will get in your way.

Here is a little money saving tip. If you have a newer jeep and you buy the Safari, get the model for the older jeep. The snorkel and mounting hardware are identical but they want $50-100 more and the only thing they give you is a cheap little pos washer bottle replacement that probably costs ten bucks from summit racing.

HTH

No I don't really need one. I was just thinking along the Lines of Less Dust I do Live In Arizona. Just an Idea for now

Thanks for the Helpful input.

I have a Safari Snorkel and it saved to flood my engine many times. I had crossed water courses with water over the hood without problem. Changed distributor cap, rotor, wires and spark to keep most of the cylinders working under such conditions. The rest of the components (interior, alternator, etc) is another story :)

I went with the cowl intake (snorkelator?). Positive pressure at the base of the window, at least a foot of greater fording depth and you can see where the water is relative to the intake. Most important to me though is that it is rock and tree proof. I rip off mirrors and door handles at least once or twice a year. If I had a snorkel hanging out there it wouldnt last two trips.

John

Back