• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake lights are acting very wierd need help thxs

banging baja

NAXJA Forum User
ok 91 limited
when the headlamps are off the brake lights do not work at all
when the headlamps are on the brake lights are on(not marker) and when i hit they brake they do nothing but stay on????

im baffeled were could i start? all fuses are good the brake switch is connecting the brake pedel???? help lol

There is a common ground behind the plastic panel behind the spare tire that can cause the symptoms your are describing. Good Luck.

the ground is good used a testlight to conferm so.
i dont know if this is related but i think this happened after installing a trailer light splice that goes into the factory wireing
um update on info the front markers work fine
the brakelight switch unpluged does nothing.
and the hazzards work
flip the bulbs around both ways and still stuck on brake light
checked fuses under dash and under hood found 2 poped replaced but no change for the brake lights....and the fuses i replaced didnt pop after replacement

Last edited:
ditto Cruiser54's comment. If it happened after putting in the trailer light splice...that's your prime suspect. Sounds to me as if you've crossed some wires...brake and marker lights. Undo the splice..make sure wires are not cross-connected, then see if problem persists. If not, then trailer splice is the problem.

i undid the splice and still no diffrent but
i didnt check the passenger bulb... assumed it wouldnt make a diffrence
was checking the passenger side with the bulb in backwards it didnt light up and with it in normaly it was on brake light wierd... but i droped the bulb noticed aw shoot i broke the filament inside. so barrowed the drivers side bulb it worked fine....? lol put the bulb back into the drivers side worked fine. mabye the one overlooked bulb was to blame or it fixed itself lol

its a jeep thing i dont get it lol

thxs for posting

Only things that came to my mind... did you check the fuse? I know one time I cut a wire and managed to blow the fuse in the process (good thing I'm not a bomb tech... oh wait).

I had a trailer hitch module actually short circuit and melt down, causing all sorts of crazy lights problems.

Back