• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ won't start... Help its my DD

Built2kill

NAXJA Forum User
So a few days ago my 96 cherokee started fine then I stopped at a store and went to start it up and nothing! It won't even crank, everything turns on like normal. The red GEN light comes on, we tried jumping it and it won't even try to crank. I looked underneath and saw that the starter was all dirty and cover in old oil. I tried the old screw driver method and it cranked a little but then the you can just hear the starter motor spin freely.

So I get the tow truck there a day later to bring it on base and miraculously it stars right up, embarrassing! However I parked it at my garage and try to restart it NOTHING! I don't even know where to start

Ok now I definitely need help! I replaced the battery and starter this morning turned the key and nothing!!! To see if it was my wiring I did the old school wire from starter to the positive post on the battery and the starter motor just spun freely... I'm lost now I have 2 problems:

1. Why won't the engine crank with the key turn

2. When I jump the starter why won't it crank the engine ? It just spins.

Thank you guys in advance.

Time for a new starter? The solenoid could be porked, and the solenoid is responsible for drawing the starter gear to the flywheel. Also, the starter motor may also have a weak winding. Don't forget to check and clean the grounds to the engine. Your symptoms sound like a collection of little problems adding up to a big one.

I just got a new starter and installed it the other day. I need to clean all of my grounds. Is there a diagram that shows all of the grounds in the engine bay?

I was able to start the truck with a wire to the starter and battery with the key on. Fired right up! But still won't work using the ignition. What else can I check?

muduck may have it. Hold the key in the start position and move the shift lever back and forth between Neutral and Park and see if you get a reaction from the starter.

Ya I tried moving around through gears no luck and I checked my reverse lights and they work. Is there a way to test if it is the ignition switch?

Turn the ignition switch slowly through its positions, especially between RUN and START, and see if you get a reaction. The contacts inside the switch get carboned and burnt over time, usually from people cycling the switch while high draw loads (think blower motor) are left on. As far as testing it, usually a visual inspection will tell a tale. The switch, connector or wires may look toasted, and smell bad. Someone more familiar with the location of the switch may need to chime in here, as I'm not sure as to the location. I think it's in the column clamshell, behind the key, but I'm not sure, as thankfully I've not had to go there yet with my '96. But now that I've jinxed myself...

Ok ya if someone could help me out as to the location. Pardon my ignorance but I don't even know where it's at on this vehicle or what it looks like.

Ya I tried moving around through gears no luck and I checked my reverse lights and they work. Is there a way to test if it is the ignition switch?

yeah, take it apart and by pass it.

You will need security torx and patience. to dissassemble them.
There is a slider from the key to the switch that is weak cast aluminium not that taking it apart will do you much good, other than point to the problem. that part is basically not worth the money if you can find a dealer that still has it.

but you can most likely find one in the yard (assuming that's the problem)

it looks like this
ignition-switch-xj-yj-4565326-a3_5952.jpg

and its located behind the key and down toward the dash. and there is a housing that connects the key to it. most of the time i've seen them go its in that housing that connects the key to the switch.

I just recently posted a video in another ignition switch/it's dead thread.

it can't be more than 2 pages back. It was a very good step by step on pulling the ignition switch.

Way to hijack. Anyway....if that's the case morgan320i...then splurge the $30 and get the new neutral safety switch...sounds like that's your problem. And, if your "320i" nick means BMW, I'm sure you can afford the $30.

Back