• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 92 won't start

StrugglezWorth

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj auto 6cyl with 200k miles that all of sudden wont start. It starts to turn over but won't fire up. It's got spark. I just put in spark plugs, new cap, rotor, and wires. Changed out the fuel filter. It's got fuel pressure at the fuel rail. I can hear the fuel pump working when i go to start it up. No check engine light no code when I check it. Any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

Try and bleed out the fuel line?
You can redneck it by cranking over the engine, and hitting the schrader valve at the engine.
**Be wary gas is going to get all up in your **it!
If the vehicle was fine, before the fuel filter change, the fuel delivery has been affected. Did you install the filter in backwards? Did you crimp the gas line somewhere?
Also what is the pressure that you're reading at the rail?

*You need a strong, BLUE, snapping spark to start the engine do you have that? If not, test or replace your ignition coil.

*For a 92, you need approximately 31 psi of fuel pressure for the engine to start. Must be verified with a fuel pressure gauge. You can rent this gauge from many parts stores.
For a quick and dirty test of fuel, you can introduce a small amount of gas or a shot of starting fluid into the intake. If the engine starts and runs for a short time, you have identified a "fuel delivery" problem.

Start there.

Back