• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a jeep xj

I'm guess the XJ is worth somewhere between 500 and 1000. How much is your quad worth? If it runs decent and doesn't have any major leaks, my main concern would be rust and body rot. Naturally I would be closely inspecting all fluids for signs of abuse, poor maintenance or mechanical problems. For instance, burnt tranny fluid, milky oil, dirty coolant. Check inside the air filter to see how much oil is accumulating there. An old 89 is also likely to need new brake lines, exhaust system repairs/replaced. Good luck with it! I hope you make a sweetheart deal.

Id be willing to bet your quads worth more than the jeep, and that's why he will trade.

As stated, go through it. Bring up problems you see with the owner and make him aware its going to cost you money to have someone fix it... even if you do repairs yourself for cheap. I scored a 96 bronco with a "broken transmission" that a guy wanted 2000 for, for $500... brought him a quote from a shop for the fix, took it home and the shifter cable needed to be adjusted, for free... have 30k on it since

my quad isnt perfect, it basically needs the carb cleaned and valves adjusted but its probably worth about $1000. As for his jeep ill go over all of it and have my mechanic buddy come with me. I just started this thread to get an idea of 89 xjs. Since eventually Ill be doing a 3-4'' lift on it

are you handy with a multimeter?

if not, don't buy a pre 91 4.0 jeep.

AMC couldn't wire a vehicle for crap. I love the RENIX fuel injection system but there is no check engine light and no codes.
Since you're in the north like me.
Rockers
Bottom of the doors
Rear lower quarters and the inner wheel wells
floorboards
tops of the unitbody rails

are the most likely place that it has rot.

oh, and it's got a closed cooling system, so just plan on replacing the surge tank and cap.

are you handy with a multimeter?

if not, don't buy a pre 91 4.0 jeep.

AMC couldn't wire a vehicle for crap. I love the RENIX fuel injection system but there is no check engine light and no codes.
Since you're in the north like me.
Rockers
Bottom of the doors
Rear lower quarters and the inner wheel wells
floorboards
tops of the unitbody rails

are the most likely place that it has rot.

oh, and it's got a closed cooling system, so just plan on replacing the surge tank and cap.

I'm alright with a multimeter but I would know what areas to check on an xj.
From the sounds of it. I should look into 92 or newer xjs.

The vagueness of the CL ad raises suspicion for me.

No mention of how it runs high points or low points. Also it appears the front end has been worked in, so look closely at radiator, from frame rails, etc. The paint also seems suspiciously shiny in this pics.

Renix era can be a challenge, but with the help of Naxja local chapters and the OEM Tech, it isn't too difficult to work out all the bugs. You can fix a lot of things easily enough and parts are readily available. Plus the aftermarket/upgrade modifications are abundant.

Personally, I think if the body and interior are clean, fluids look good, most everything works and it drives well it would be worth more than $1,000.00.

That one looks very well cared for, garaged, very low mileage. If it is as clean as it looks, I would put a much higher value on it, IF everything works. I'd say 1500 to $2000 in perfect working order, then discount from there for what needs repairing. It is getting very hard to find clean Renix jeeps!!

What he will sell it for, and what you can buy it for is another question!!!:laugh3:

I paid way too much for my 87 wagoneer, and nearly stole the latest 89 (I got very lucky).

89 was a great year, and easy to work on if you have the small renix fuel injection manual and can use a multi meter.

I have five 85-89 XJs now.

The vagueness of the CL ad raises suspicion for me.

No mention of how it runs high points or low points. Also it appears the front end has been worked in, so look closely at radiator, from frame rails, etc. The paint also seems suspiciously shiny in this pics.

Renix era can be a challenge, but with the help of Naxja local chapters and the OEM Tech, it isn't too difficult to work out all the bugs. You can fix a lot of things easily enough and parts are readily available. Plus the aftermarket/upgrade modifications are abundant.

Personally, I think if the body and interior are clean, fluids look good, most everything works and it drives well it would be worth more than $1,000.00.

Edit: I just checked Houston's list and there is not a single Renix 87-90 for sale!!!

Last edited:
Skeptical me. I would keep looking.

The last two pics make me wonder about the mudding and the towing.

I don't think I would by any jeep with 35's unless it was fully set up and clearly done well.

I agree with you. That's mud picture had me worried with how deep it was and just makes me wonder if there has been a flood of mud in the jeep. To your average 23 year old that woukd look cool but to me didn't. The only thing I noticed was a semi cheap price and his willing to trade for my quad. But I haven't heard from him today. And i have a guy coming to look at my quad today.

I agree with you. That's mud picture had me worried with how deep it was and just makes me wonder if there has been a flood of mud in the jeep. To your average 23 year old that woukd look cool but to me didn't. The only thing I noticed was a semi cheap price and his willing to trade for my quad. But I haven't heard from him today. And i have a guy coming to look at my quad today.

4.10 gears means it likely has stock axles with a gajillion miles on them.
Take a look at the tires, mismatched front to rear. Not to hate, but when I look at a vehicle to buy I look at the tires. Someone that spends money on tires has likely kept the rest of the maintenance up well.

Man those seats are primo. My 95 had those and i'm yet to sit my butt in a better seat. My 99 cloth seats are spine / soul crushers on long drives..

Last edited:
Back