• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration problems

purplexj

NAXJA Forum User
I've never had vibes in my XJ . Not with a 2" bb and not with 3 1/2" lift. Adj short arms , RE drop brackets TNT u bolt eliminators and shackle relocation brackets . The vibes started when i put the TNT belly skid . Slight vibes began . I lived with it for a few years by not going over 60-65 mph . Recently installed an sye kit with driveshaft . Don't remember who i got the driveshaft from right. It's at my friends place. The yoke is drill and tap not hack and tap . I could'nt drive over 40 without very ,very bad vibes. Transfercase drop did not help . Removed t/c drop and installed a front XJ shaft . I can drive at 60-65 but with vibes again . Maybe more than with the stock driveshaft. TNT skid lifts the t/c higher about an inch but the sye should have taken care of it . If no one has a suggestion i think i'll remove my rear shaft , see howe that feels then replace and remove front shaft . Due to the huricane i won't be shooting any pics this week . Need to finnish cutting down the tree that fell on the side gate .

I would'nt mind slight vibes but vibes and towing my trailer is a pain .

When you installed the SYE kit did you also install shims between the axle and leafsprings? Most vibe issues are related to bad angles of the driveshaft.

Already done when the UBE's were installed . If i get a chance i 'll shoot a pics of the angle tommorrow . But the rear was set up for the sye kit before the install .

Got pics of the pinnion angle today .

DSCF8825.jpg

DSCF8823.jpg

DSCF8817.jpg

Your getting to personal !!! Nah , i thought the same thing AFTER i saw the pics . Was'nt so obvious in person . I was hoping it was that the first day . I'll remove the rear and front shafts in that order first before shimming the axle . Thanks for your imput . If i ever decide to jump off a bridge i hope your there. Don't jump you wont make it . We need a little levity in our lives .

Front pinon angle .
DSCF8830.jpg

UBE's , need paint .
DSCF8829.jpg

Rear seal are leaking too .

shim rear pinion down. also, if your leaves are too soft with that already high pinion angle axle wrap will only make the vibes worse.

how is the CV joint in the shaft?
how is the pinion u joint?

inspect and replace if needed or get a new junkyard shaft.

is your rear output shaft true?

when was the last time you had your tires balanced?

how is the front DS?

good cv and u joints?

Springs are not soft . Everything was new in the rear last year or two . I had a custom drive shaft on it brand new and the vibes were unbearable . Took it off the very next day . Oldest kid is back home and sleeping in the den . Her house is still w/o power from huricane Sandy so I cant find my card reader . I'll have to use crummy ipod pics when i finnish charging it . Starting work at 1am tonight . Driveshaft is from Driveshaft Superstore.com (custom vibration removal) . I took it to a driveshaft store and he said it was made wrong and he wanted to cut it up for $285 . No thanks . If it's made wrong , why would'nt he suggest sending it back ? The driveshaft and yoke were less than what he wanted . I just wanted it checked for true and balance . No mater what the cost or what you cut and weld if something is off something is off . Anyway the XJ front shaft is better , less vibes

IMG_0503-1.jpg

IMG_0502-1.jpg

IMG_0501-1.jpg

Anyway this is where i'm at for the next few days . I'll start checking monday by pulling driveshafts and then shims before i go any further . Driveshaft guy said something about it being a 1310 and one u joint being smaller on one side than the other . I'll be calling Drshaft store when i get the chance . Driveshaft was sitting at home for a long time before install . But clearly it's new . Funny thing is very little vibes with the stock factory slip shaft .

Last edited:
I never was able to cure the vibes . That is untill my front shaft u joint let go . There were 2 small chips in the yoke on the D30 . Swapped the yoke and new Spicer joint . No more vibes . Damn vibes were just a couple small chips or the u joint itself . I'll never know but the vibes are gone . I never got to try removing the front drive shaft because the TNT belly skid made it more work to remove . Now i can actually feel the knobbies on the tires and it feels great .

Back