• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe moving from utah to the area.

Royal_Highness

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I'm Justin From salt lake. I drive a green 00' xj
I may be moving to temecula about the first of the year. Wife is hard up on moving out there. So may I ask what is out there besides Johnson valley and such for wheelin'? Also temecula for jobs what is around if anyone can fill me in? I have been a mechanic here in salt lake, but trying to get out of it. I know the pay will be better more then likely, then I can get in other job paths at this time.

My rig
DSC00544.jpg

Mechanic jobs in Temecula are extremely competitive, so I wouldn't count on just landing one. Also,you are moving into one of the more expensive areas of Riverside County, so be prepared.

Also remember that the unemployment rate in California is still high, so there's a LOT of applicants for practically every job.

But, if you're determined to move, Temecula is pretty nice.

Yeah all I had thought about. We would be staying with some family. Help out on rent and such dip in to that cali life. Not really worried about a job financially. I just know id be better off with one.

Wife can work at home and I am already out of work.

Last edited:
As much as I love Cali, I would very highly recommend against moving here. I'm not even trying to be that funny guy who's trying to keep outsiders away, but Cali is in bad shape right now. High unemployment, the highest gas prices of ALL states (including HI), unemployed and unemployable individuals who will have to resort to other means to make it day to day, crappy politics, city and town governments going bankrupt and a pace of life that will be much faster than what you're used to in Utah.

Yeah, Cali has a lot of great things about it (I love being able to go from surf to snow all in 1 day, Disneyland and any style of offroading you desire) but what it costs you in your work time (not counting any commute) just trying to make ends meet and the amount everything costs, it's just not worth it anymore. Not to mention, quite frankly, the vast majority of people here are assholes. Everyone's either stressed out and overworked or self entitled crybabies or kicking it on welfare - no one gives a crap about anyone else anymore. There are exceptions, but for the most part it's dog eat dog and the average Californian would just as soon cut you off in line / on the freeway than say hi. Be careful with Jeep waves, lol.

You can take my place in SoCal. We are relocating to PNW the beginning of next year. I used to love SoCal but I am over it and need to get out.

As for wheeling there are tons of places close to Temecula:

Ocotillo Wells
Truck Haven
Superstition
Coral Canyon
Big Bear
The list goes on...

The SoCal NAXJA chapter has a lot of cool people.

Oh, and maybe gas wont be $5.00/gal when you get here.

Matt

Well at least I got some good responses. Maybe It would be convincing enough to my woman, to just let her read this thread. Then I wouldn't have to move.:yap:

Maybe I can just convince her to just vacation. I could go wheeling, and she could live her cali life for a week or two lol

Last edited:
You'll need a bank loan for fuel if you plan on staying for 2 weeks.No i'm not kidding.Fuel up in Vegas cause they're cheaper than state line for fuel as of 1 week ago.fuel in Vegas was 3.76, here in CA we are up to 4.50 an higher.When you get down here let folks know so you can meet up with some and maybe go play a day.

Drive safe

Temecula is probably the best city you could live in the Inland Empire. The city is in great financial shape and there are great cops keeping our citizens safe! Oh, and lots of wheeling nearby.

Come to San Diego.... It's better than all those other places people live.

north county san diego is a good compromise. it's cheapish, not as hot as temecula, and there are a ton of dealerships if you want another mechanic job.

Well going out on a few trails sounds fun regardless if I do an extended vacation or move.. I will be doing a drive out and vacation before I decide on anything long term. I hope to go on some trails and see what that SoCal is all about.

i agree with most of all what has been said here. though i have talked to many shops that are in need of GOOD mechanics. "Good" being the main concern. so i wouldnt take the "unemployment rate" too seriously. temecula is a nice area, just a bit busy IMHO. when i was in salt lake it didnt look too crowded and the streets were not that busy, so be prepared for slower traffic around town that you may not be used to.

If my wife came to me and said it was her or move to SoCal I'd kick her to the curb in two seconds flat.

Not saying she's giving you that ultimatum but seriously there is nothing in the world that would get me to move from Utah to SoCal. Statistically you are talking about moving from a state that has great schools, cheap gas, good job market, low crime, decent tax rate and a million other things to a state that is on the opposite side of that spectrum. Hell even the guys who live there are telling to to think twice about it.

north county san diego is a good compromise. it's cheapish, not as hot as temecula, and there are a ton of dealerships if you want another mechanic job.

Meh... Now that they are opening a stone in south county there is no reason for anyone to go to north county :moon: :D

If my wife came to me and said it was her or move to SoCal I'd kick her to the curb in two seconds flat.

Not saying she's giving you that ultimatum but seriously there is nothing in the world that would get me to move from Utah to SoCal. Statistically you are talking about moving from a state that has great schools, cheap gas, good job market, low crime, decent tax rate and a million other things to a state that is on the opposite side of that spectrum. Hell even the guys who live there are telling to to think twice about it.

You are forgetting that in order to have all those nice things you talk about in Utah one actually has to live in... Utah... **** that... :moon;

Well,

I've lived in California for most of my 53 yrs (came to this country from the Netherlands when I was 2) and I'm pretty much fed up with it.

Just got laid off from my job of 13 yrs with the LA Unified School District where I was a sheet metal worker (been a union s/m worker for 30 yrs) and checking in with the hall (and international branch as well) I don't see me landing a job for a long time....at least not one that pays enough to survive on (went from making a minimum of $72K yr to 26 wks of unemployment).

So.....I cashed out my 403B and put a down payment on a house in Utah (Cedar City :D).....my mortgage is less than a third of what I am paying for rent here!

I don't have a job yet but, I can survive on what little unemployment (CA) I get and my savings if unemployment runs out before I find something then my pension after about a year if I'm still unsuccessful....not much but, enough to make ends meet....try doing that in California!

I'm an outdoorsman, own quite a few guns and am tired of the liberal politics and (mostly) anti gun attitude of this state.........don't do it!

I wish I could pack my shit and get out of here faster than it's going :(

Hans

Well,

I've lived in California for most of my 53 yrs (came to this country from the Netherlands when I was 2) and I'm pretty much fed up with it.

Just got laid off from my job of 13 yrs with the LA Unified School District where I was a sheet metal worker (been a union s/m worker for 30 yrs) and checking in with the hall (and international branch as well) I don't see me landing a job for a long time....at least not one that pays enough to survive on (went from making a minimum of $72K yr to 26 wks of unemployment).

So.....I cashed out my 403B and put a down payment on a house in Utah (Cedar City :D).....my mortgage is less than a third of what I am paying for rent here!

I don't have a job yet but, I can survive on what little unemployment (CA) I get and my savings if unemployment runs out before I find something then my pension after about a year if I'm still unsuccessful....not much but, enough to make ends meet....try doing that in California!

I'm an outdoorsman, own quite a few guns and am tired of the liberal politics and (mostly) anti gun attitude of this state.........don't do it!

I wish I could pack my shit and get out of here faster than it's going :(

Hans

Hi Hans,
I'm in the same boat, came to the US in 1994, started my business and made it through all the fancy times here in Los Angeles. Now I'm almost 50 and have had quite enough of the rat race going on here. I'm a hunter and am going to Utah to get my game. As soon as I have a chance to move me and my family I will buy me some land in Utah and call it a day. Love the people there and the country.

Back