• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case is frozen

westvirginia24976

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj with 231 case of unknown origin and sye. Not a hack and tap. I took the linkage loose and tried to shift the case, but it won't budge. Am I going to have to pull the case or are there a few things I can try before I do that?

Can you spin the input/outputs by hand at all? I had a similar issue with a stock case, turned out the chain was stretched, it came off the sprocket and was blocking it from shifting.

If its still frozen, try putting it in the microwave on defrost.

In all seriousness, you will probably have to pull the case and open it up and do a rebuild.

You sure it's "frozen"? The shifter can be pretty hard to shift by hand without the linkage.

Anyway, if you suspect internal damage, it's easy enough to pull. Front and rear drivelines, disconnect speedo stuff, drain fluid, you already have the linkage disconnected, get a friend to hold it up while you undo the six bolts that hold it to the trans and pull it out.

For getting it apart, get yourself a good pair of snaprig pliers if you don't already have them... and clear off a clean spot on the work bench. Make sure to keep all the parts in order.

Back