• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome lights draw

drewbsking

NAXJA Forum User
I had my rear gate open for about 4 hours (Stupid me, but the keys were out so nothings else was on) and which left on all the interior lights (4 total lights I think: rear, upper, two lowers) it drained my battery dead. Not even one click from the starter. Should the battery be able to withstand more than 4 hours of dome lights? I think I have an interstate MT-34, I just not sure on the model number. Its always been full of water too.

Depends on the type of battery. Deep cycles have longer charge than say one strictly for starting but put out less starting amps. With that said, I was only able to drive my Jeep for 2 hours after the alternator crapped out.

Ultimately it depends upon the age and condition of the battery.
You can try removing the battery from the Jeep, desulfate the plates with the charger and then recharge the battery. This should help recondition the battery assuming it has some life remaining in it.

I've done this before, albeit for an overnight period, and it killed my battery. I charged it up and it went fine for a couple weeks and then one day it could hardly start my jeep up...so I just went and bought a new one.

That was over 2 years ago and I haven't had an issue since. In my experience, when a battery gets drained like this it will never function 100% again...so I'd really recommend getting a new one if you can swing it.

LED dome lights. Left them on all day on a few occasions and she starts right back up! :D

So does replacing the lights in the jeep with LED's actually reduce draw for a fact? I know led's draw less but I thought the little conversion bulbs used about the same amount.

Several years ago I converted both of the dome lights, kick panel lights and overhead map lights to SMA LEDs.
There are several benefits to LEDs; alot less heat, longer life, less amp draw and a side benefit is that the bugs are not attracted to the dome light being on. How much difference in amp draw depends upon how many lights on that circuit have been converted.
Probably equates to a couple tenths of an amp.
Charles

Back