• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Shop in San Diego

You will need to put the system under a vacuum of at least 28.5" and see if the system holds....
Your system will take approximately 1.25 cans of R134a to recharge.
You will need to flush the system of the old oil and add the new PAG oil before charging.

Harbor Freight sells an compressed air driven vacuum pump and refrigerant gauges to assist in the conversion....

You can do this modification yourself with some research...

The compressor will need to be removed to pour the old oil out and the receiver drier should be replaced, R134 PAG oil is not compatible with the R12 oil. I don't remember if our systems have an orifice tube or an expansion valve but that should be removed to be able to flush the system, if it's an orifice tube replace it. Also, the system should be charged with dye added so you can tell where any leaks are after the system is charged. If you don't use dye the refrigerant is invisible and most likely won't be able to find a leak. Of course, the R12 service ports will need to be replaced with R134 ports. For reference, if we did it at our shop, and your compressor was good, the cost would be roughly $380.

The compressor will need to be removed to pour the old oil out and the receiver drier should be replaced, R134 PAG oil is not compatible with the R12 oil. I don't remember if our systems have an orifice tube or an expansion valve but that should be removed to be able to flush the system, if it's an orifice tube replace it. Also, the system should be charged with dye added so you can tell where any leaks are after the system is charged. If you don't use dye the refrigerant is invisible and most likely won't be able to find a leak. Of course, the R12 service ports will need to be replaced with R134 ports. For reference, if we did it at our shop, and your compressor was good, the cost would be roughly $380.

That's a hell of a deal Richard! Wish i still had the A/C components in mine. Oh well, time for on board air.

Back