• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Conversion and Rims

kr2590

NAXJA Forum User
Can you guys share your experience with rims fitting on wj break conversion. Have you been able to fit 15" rims and if so what backspacing, brand, model, steel or alloy, what caliper are you using, have you had to grind down the caliper and any other info you can share?

I am reluctantly leaning towards 16s to be safe but I and my wallet would much rather have 15s.

Also, I did search for this topic, here and elsewhere, so don't break my balls. I am looking for the consensus view about 16s vs 15s on a WJ conversion that is all. Thanks!

15" steel D windows here, 3.75" BS, Teeves Calipers

They self clearanced a tiny bit, al wheels wont work with 3.75" BS

Last edited:
al wheels wont work
oh snap, you mean i have to take mine off??

15" eagle alloy aluminum rims, 3.25" backspacing. teeves callipers.
probably 1/4-3/8" clearance, doesnt rub, nothing had to be ground down.

Much happier but not satisfied. Was hoping someone with Akebonos (that is what I am running) would chime in also. Maybe even a few people that had problems so I know what to avoid. By the way I would like Pro Comp alloys so if any of you have had success or failure with those things I would love to know.

I believe JeepCherokeeGuy99 had the akebonos on his with 15s. He's not around much, but you could send him a message.
You can always run heims or offset TRE's

offset 1 ton tre's on wj knuckles have issues clearing 15" rims, fyi. i had to grind a little off the TRE's.

Yeaaa after looking at it I see what you mean those TREs will be rubbing for sure. Really the only way to tell is to test the rims which is not that easy to get a hold of them for testing.

i just ground a little off the TRE, it wasnt in an area where it looked like it would hurt them. i just radiused it a little bit. i still cant run the clamp on wheel weights though. they'll take them right off.

I ran the big akebonos on 15 black steelies with 3.75" BS. had to grind some of the caliper, but not a ton. you sell, install rim, see where it hit, grind, repeat. it was like a ridge that stuck up.

I'm gathering that stock rims won't clear Akebonos unless you grind them down, & then it's damned close. Teves clear easier.
Lots of people run 15" steelies with less back space than stock & I don't think they have to grind at 4" back space.
For aluminum rims, 16" is pretty much required. Some possible exceptions but generally... 16".

I test fit a set of alloy ultra wheels the other day ... Cleared Teeves clipers with about 3/16" to spare.
Steelies have a boat load of room to spare ... Both sets were 3.75" backspaced.

the pics shows Akebonos w/RS 1ton offset TREs.
the wheel is TJ Alloy 16" Moab's (5"bs?)...no wheel spacer installed for the pics
I ended with a 1.5 spacer ( not shown in the pics)

Akebonos with 15" steel wheels. These weren't stock in this picture.

15" wheels with akebonos are close either way. Maybe an 1/8th inch.

PB270676.jpg

PB270675.jpg

Way back then I used straight 1-ton TRE OTK and modified the crap out of the coil bucket on both sides. I later reinforced all that.

PB140511.jpg

PB140510.jpg

PC180818.jpg

PC180801.jpg

Back