• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleghorn to john bull Sep 2nd and 3rd

garrett83

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I have been meanin to post this up for some time now, but wasn't sure what the work schedule was going to be. Now I do!!

I will be heading out with one other Jeep, so far, on a camping trip this weekend. We will be starting from cleghorn off the 15 fwy, and wheeling up into Arrowhead via 2N17X. I plan to stop in Arrowhead for a late lunch, and continue on to find a camping spot for the night somewhere around the entrance to Dishpan.

We will head out through Dishpan in the morning, and hit Holcolm creek jeep trail, then cut across to john bull. We will most Likley stop for dinner in big bear before heading back down the mountain.

If the group stays small, we might try to swing Dishpan on Sunday and camp in or around crab flats, then hit an extra trail Monday if we feel like it.

If anyone wants to join us you are more than welcome. I will be camping with my 10 year old son and my girl friend,and plan to bring at least one of my dogs.

I like to hit the trail a little early, and plan to meet under the over pass at the 15 and cleghorn at 8am, and be on the trail by 8:30 on Sunday.

We probably won't get going that early on Monday, but If anyone wants to meet us up there for the harder runs Monday, then i will try to post up our location and an approximate time.

Remember no open campfires on the SBNF. The only place campfires and charcoal bbqs are currently allowed is in developed camgrounds.

The Law Enforcement Rangers are vigorously enforcing the fire restrictions.

Only campground I can think of near the BEGINNING of Dishpan would be the North Shore CG although I imagine it is booked full for this weekend.

Sounds like a fun trip! Me and a few friends went to do the same thing last weekend in our RZR's and my buddy in a YJ bringing up the rear but to just make a day of it and eat a late lunch in Arrowhead in the village and then head back to the trailer and head home. Well that was the plan... We started out doing just great until us in the RXR's got out ahead of the YJ and started to put on a fire road clinic! Anyways Im at the last 100 yards of the trail or so and there is one last crest and it doesn't look too big until i get closer and then i see its much bigger than i thought. I try to slow down get pitched a bit sideways and come off the lip at about 90 degrees or so land sideways and barrel rolled 3 times. So then the recovery mission begins. We have to do the drive of shame back down to the trail head in the YJ to get the truck and the trailer and bring it back to RZR and get the damn thing home. It takes us a little over an hour to get the trailer up there. Anyways long story short. Im still itching to complete the trail in its entirety!

Wow, I hope no one got hurt...

There are some nasty drop offs up there that you can get in trouble on.

The bad thing with speeding around on those fire roads is hitting someone head on while coming around a corner. My last time up there, a FEW people had Atvs running into their grills. It's not really the place to be sliding around corners and hauling ass. It's one thing to hurt your self or break your toys, it's another to hurt someone else or land face first into a $50 thousand dollar JK!! And wind up with a huge bill!!

Wow, I hope no one got hurt...

There are some nasty drop offs up there that you can get in trouble on.

The bad thing with speeding around on those fire roads is hitting someone head on while coming around a corner. My last time up there, a FEW people had Atvs running into their grills. It's not really the place to be sliding around corners and hauling ass. It's one thing to hurt your self or break your toys, it's another to hurt someone else or land face first into a $50 thousand dollar JK!! And wind up with a huge bill!!

Trust me I defiantly learned my lesson!!! I wish you have a safe trip and fun trip!

Had a great trip this weekend!! It ended up being just my jeep and wrtusmctj.

A7C4C801-DD32-4664-A877-8C4C80409B13-431-0000003F6AE73268.jpg

I have a ton of footage on my gopro to go through and will get a video up soon. There was plenty of carnage and one very long day of wheeling on Sunday.

Let's just say, I'm going to need a new NAXJA sticker!!

343A2241-A0F3-494C-B6ED-548CACDE8729-431-0000003F46BC472A.jpg

And a new yoke and u joint!

EF640CAE-8912-4211-B348-8E4468F4E0D1-901-000000FEC4A9DC27.jpg

And a winch for these sticky moments!!

BE3A36E6-9074-4A0F-A1EE-AB518136DCE5-901-000000FF0977823F.jpg

Oops!!

133926B3-B28E-4F89-AC17-AB15B8125494-901-000000FF7899949D-1.jpg

Big thanks to John for pulling me out of this and getting me back on all fours!!

0AE59CC9-A22A-4253-91D7-0A99B52344B9-901-000000FFBEAF6A82.jpg

And the final out come!!

EA0AD495-F0A2-4C84-9C91-825902A14A9D-901-000001010C07D8FF.jpg

65232B42-65C8-4D0D-B54A-7DE5CBF80B11-901-00000101306BD893.jpg

Our camp at pinnacle the next day

C23A89DD-91EE-4B33-8D91-DE9DFED6D2CA-901-00000101646C16AF.jpg

Everyone is safe, the family was outside of the jeep when this happened. We were able to get things back together, turned back around and got on a fire road, and made it up to pinnacle staging area to camp for the night by about 11pm. Since I only have front wheel drive, we canceled the next day of wheeling and went for pizza and beer at the village in arrowhead. We got some pretty crazy looks, and a little attention from the CHP, but we drove it home without Any issues!!

This is on 2N17X, at a spot known as the three bitches...
There's a ledge up at the top that is surround by sand, ha to bump it a couple times then SNAP!! Lost my rear drive shaft.

We tried to tug it up the hill but that wasn't happening. So I back down. Only problem is, once I got down the ledge, it was all sand. I slid for about 20' before the rear went passenger into the side of the trail and then there was this!!

I tried going up that a long long time ago and it was a no go! Even with 4WD It sucks backing down. Glad no one was hurt.

Now to do some body work eh? :p

2n17x is the trail on the other side of Cleg yes? X trail i believe?

I found out that this jeep already has that much bindi or more!! We it did anyways!!

yes 2n17x is the trail on the other side of silver wood lake from cleghorn. There's been a lot of work done to that trail, including blocking off two of the three trails at the 3 sisters, and closing the bipass at the gate keeper, making this a very tough trail in sections

Back